4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Upgrades for stock 98GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:12 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
If youre going to do the pi swap, you might as well do the npi aftermarket cams and a pi intake and you'll keep your compression ratio incase you want to run a blower in the future and you'll have the benefits of the pi swap without having to remove the heads and all that install.

dr.apex, you really havent been in the mod motor world for long have you??? Bolt-on's are really kinda pointless when you can put nitrous or a supercharger on for reasonably cheap these days. You can put a supercharger on the car for about the same price as full bolt-on's. So its kinda pointless to do bolt-on's first and end up with 250-260rwhp when you could do a supercharger and have 350rwhp. Then when thats not enough, just start doing the bolt-on's and they'll seem worth the money due to the supercharger being there. And if you do the supercharger first, that could be more than you'll ever want so you have no reason to spend any more money. So why spend all the money on bolt-on's and then the supercharger when you could be happy with just the supercharger and dont need the bolt-on's to be happy.
omg....
dude, you are not getting my point. So, just for you, I'm going to type very slowly.
My point...
Prepare the the motor so that when the day comes that you want serious power, it can handle it.
Meaning....prepare the block and get the correct pistons, rods, bearings, cam etc, with the intentions that in the future you might want to use a big time power adder.
Without a strong base its pointless to bolt stuff on just to realize that you are gonna have to dig into the internals anyways.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
eddioso

Thanks for the advice so far. I read that you can't put a PI intake manifold on a 98GT with stock heads. Is this true?

Keep it coming!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Typing very slowly isnt going to get your point across any better. Further explanation is what gets your point across. And now that you did that, i'll explain my point. Most people are never actually going to build their motor. As much as we would all love to, the majority of the people on this site are not going to have a built shortblock. Our stock shortblock has enough potential to make around 400rwhp which is more than enough for most people. Why put up with simple stuff like bolt-on's until you can afford to build a shortblock and buy a big blower or whatever when you can do a blower for now and then as you get used to that power, start saving for a shortblock if you want to go further. Fact is that a lot of people are satisfied with that power level. Now, you realize that building for the power to need a built shortblock requires in upwards of $10-15k right? Its insane to wait to save up that much money to do it all at once. You can do an S-trim or a p1 for right around $2-3K and that is enough for most, so why say buy a shortblock that can handle 2x the power you ever want to make. Waste of money. With the motor, i'll boost then wait to build it just because i dont know if the power that i make will blow it or not. Keep it to a safe boost level, keep enough fuel in it, and dont spin it ungodly high and it will be perfectly fine.

To the OP: Yea, people do it all the time. But im going to ask you what your ultimate goals are for the car. Cus if youre going to buy an intake manifold, you might want to look aftermarket incase you are going to go for some pretty good power in the future. But with the aftermarket intake manifold, you can get benefits out of it stock. Wont be as much as it would be if you were built or supercharged but it will probably give you slight increases over a regular pi manifold.

Last edited by teej281; 02-10-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:35 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

My 98 started off with just gears and short throw shifter, then a PI swap, then a blower, then a built short block, then....................get my point
Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
My 98 started off with just gears and short throw shifter, then a PI swap, then a blower, then a built short block, then....................get my point

+1 haha im onto the blower stage.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:05 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^Watch out...keep the boost low or the timing extremely retarded.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Typing very slowly isnt going to get your point across any better. Further explanation is what gets your point across. And now that you did that, i'll explain my point. Most people are never actually going to build their motor. As much as we would all love to, the majority of the people on this site are not going to have a built shortblock. Our stock shortblock has enough potential to make around 400rwhp which is more than enough for most people. Why put up with simple stuff like bolt-on's until you can afford to build a shortblock and buy a big blower or whatever when you can do a blower for now and then as you get used to that power, start saving for a shortblock if you want to go further. Fact is that a lot of people are satisfied with that power level. Now, you realize that building for the power to need a built shortblock requires in upwards of $10-15k right? Its insane to wait to save up that much money to do it all at once. You can do an S-trim or a p1 for right around $2-3K and that is enough for most, so why say buy a shortblock that can handle 2x the power you ever want to make. Waste of money. With the motor, i'll boost then wait to build it just because i dont know if the power that i make will blow it or not. Keep it to a safe boost level, keep enough fuel in it, and dont spin it ungodly high and it will be perfectly fine.
MY mistake then. I was assuming that money for the build wasnt the issue.
I had an 85GT and a 91GT. When I bought them, I knew I wanted big power. So, while driving the cars I purchased used shortblocks and built them according to the power that I wanted. Once I finished them, I pulled the stockers out and dropped in the motors. With the stockers out, I refreshed them and kept them for a rainy day in the event there ever was a catastrophic failure on the built motors. I guess its just a matter of personal preferance on what avenue you take in your build.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:57 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Money on a build is always an issue, I like most here done have money falling out of they're asses or a magical money tree in the back yard...

Anyways back to the topic. I started off with a 98GT with 118k, then simple ignition upgrades (coils, plugs, wires), and gauges so I could read the vitals better. From there I saved a little and did the exhaust all at once (LT's, catted X, cat back). Year later and an unfortunate mishap gave me some exterior work with insurance money. This year Im tearing into the suspension with the tax return. Needed ball joints and shocks anyways, but Im in a debate over LCA's or springs.

I would free up the intake and exhaust first before tearing deep into the engine. It may not feel much different, but to do and see improvements from the big engine work you need it to breath. As far as suspension work goes I would say upgrade when needed or when the extra scratch is there.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

if your staying n/a pi swap and gears are a must!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM
atrain59
1st Gear Member

I have a pi swap kit for sale if you are interested $800 shipped https://mustangforums.com/forum/sn95...-for-sale.html

Also have a Polished Vortech S-trim supercharger for $1500 or obo

Last edited by atrain59; 02-11-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Upgrades for stock 98GT