4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I dont know what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Default I dont know what to do...

I'm pretty sure that my headers are coming loose... I had them installed in November and I can hear a "woosh" like sound coming from my engine bay and when I step on it, it is louder than usual... Also in the mornings when I start it up and let it warm up a little, it sounds like it has a giant fan just blowing air everywhere... I will get a video up as soon as I can. Its hard to explain but what should I do to fix this. Is the shop that installed them responsible for them coming loose or is it my problem??? Also, I bought teflon(I think) header gaskets and I hear they blow out, is it true that there is a type of gasket that is extra thick that squishes when tightened and and as the engine gets hot and cools down it adjusts to stay tight all the time? Another thing is I bought stage 8 locking header bolts but the shop said that it would be impossible to get the locking part on, any of you guys get these things on? -Thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

you just need to adjust them down again, now that its been run for a while since the install they need to have a final adjustment to them and it shouldnt happen again. you can only tighten them so much before the engine has actually been run then you can get them where they're supposed to be. if it continues after that id just bring it back to where you had them installed to have it checked out.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
I'm pretty sure that my headers are coming loose... I had them installed in November and I can hear a "woosh" like sound coming from my engine bay and when I step on it, it is louder than usual... Also in the mornings when I start it up and let it warm up a little, it sounds like it has a giant fan just blowing air everywhere... I will get a video up as soon as I can. Its hard to explain but what should I do to fix this. Is the shop that installed them responsible for them coming loose or is it my problem??? Also, I bought teflon(I think) header gaskets and I hear they blow out, is it true that there is a type of gasket that is extra thick that squishes when tightened and and as the engine gets hot and cools down it adjusts to stay tight all the time? Another thing is I bought stage 8 locking header bolts but the shop said that it would be impossible to get the locking part on, any of you guys get these things on? -Thanks
Wow! The people that put your headers on are idiots. I have the locking bolts and they were not difficult or "impossible" like your guys say. The bolts in your headers obviously have come loose which is what happens after time, unless your locking bolts would have been installed.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

yea, it might be difficult depending on how they did your headers, but not impossible. They might have meant that they didnt drop or raise the motor during install so it was too hard for them to try to put them in and just didnt bother with it. You need to have them installed.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

They removed the cross member and lifted the engine about 2 inches, and when they bolted the engine back down they didn't center it very well because I had to adjust my shaker lol. They said it would be the first and last Mach 1 they do headers on because it took them 2 full days to do it. They are obviously not the best lol. They only managed to get a few locks on there, obviously not enough...
Old 02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Wow! The people that put your headers on are idiots. I have the locking bolts and they were not difficult or "impossible" like your guys say. The bolts in your headers obviously have come loose which is what happens after time, unless your locking bolts would have been installed.
That would **** me off too having spent the extra money for good locking hardware only to have them not use it.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:52 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, take it back and make sure they fix it or id do something about it. I bet that bill was pretty salty for having it for 2 days.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM
jsmarsh25
3rd Gear Member

i made the mistake of dropping the cross member and lifting the motor a few inches when i originally put my longtubes on. same deal, couldn't get all the locks on. when i rebuilt my motor with the stroker, i pulled everything wholesale (motor, tranny, headers on). when it came time to put it back in, i put it back in the same way, wholesale. much easier, and you're guarnteed to get all the locks on the bolts, easily. i gotta change my rear main seal come spring, and i'm pulling it the same way again. plus the longtubes guide everything right in when you're dropping the motor and tranny back in. just some food for thought.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:57 PM
02stang2113
4th Gear Member

Ahhh that sucks man... i think u shoule be able to adjust them but idk 4sure...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
massmustang02
3rd Gear Member

Bring it back. Hand them OEM gaskets to replace the teflon ones and tell them to figure out the locking bolts. Just finished my LT's on my back in my garage and I can promise you they are morons for not being able to figure it out.

Quick Reply: I dont know what to do...