4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

LCA w/ Speherical bushing help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:15 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

Default LCA w/ Speherical bushing help

Well I've been reading more and more, and the informative post from teej and jazzer has convinced me to go to a lca with spherical bushing. But I have some questions. First is what brands of LCA's offer a spherical bushing? I don't know of many sites to shop at. Also what is recommended for the UCA? Is a spherical bushing also required here or can I go with a cheaper solution and go with a urethane bushing?

Im mainly looking for links to diff LCA with spherical bushings. thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Maximum Motorsports have the spherical bushing
http://www.americanmuscle.com/maximu...rms-99-04.html
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

UCA can't beat the FRPP upper, MM recommends it with their control arms
Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 PM
ddmsgtr1
4th Gear Member

I have UPR spherical uppers and lowers, no complaints yet. Make sure you reinforce your torque boxes.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

There are many companies that make a poly/spherical LCA. The UPR Pro Series, the MM ones The Lizman has linked.. and my personal fave Griggs Racing.

One is not "required" to run a spherical bearing, but is much easier on your torque-boxes for DD and will reduce some of the bind created by the Mustang "quadra-bind" 4-Link rear end suspension. When the axle articulates (one wheel up in the wheel well, the other way out of the wheel well) this motion asks the LCA's to rotate or twist lengthwise (we won't even get into what the UCA's are trying to do!) This rotation will inhibit or "bind" due to the bushings fighting it. The OEM arms will twist because they are weak and the bushings will get all squished because they are weak. This leads to sloppy suspension response and aids to a poor handling ride.

NOW... if one installs a poly/poly LCA, all these issues are magnafied greatly! The twisting is being fought by a much stronger arm that will NOT want to twist and a bushing that is much harder and IT will not want to twist. The result is worse suspension bind and ultimately a damaged torque box on a DD vehicle.

Depending on your needs, I would recommend the UPR Pro Series for good DD and some spirted stuff. The MM is going to be stronger and geared more for AX and aggressive driving. The Griggs is built for race cars and why I run them in my 248 HP beast

Jazzer
Old 02-11-2010, 10:16 PM
demighost
2nd Gear Member

upr sounds good to me, I found this here CLICK-ME But I see a problem, these dont have sway bar mount plates. The other pro one doesn't show the UCA with a spherical bushing, But it does have sway bar mount. Which would you recommend Jazzer?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I recommend the UPR LCA's with a poly/spherical end for a good DD occasional 1/4 mile use. This has a sway bar mount and has the bearing at the torque-boxe end which I prefer.

If you wanted to to stick with UPR, you could go one higher in terms of strength as I see it, with the Pro Series LCA. This has sway bar mounts and solid bearing for axle end.

Jazzer
Old 02-12-2010, 08:12 AM
02TrueBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

So Jazzer, the ones that Lizzy linked up has one side spherical and other other poly? Do you still have a chance of blwoing out the poly bushings?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:32 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yes you do. Depending on your driving style, it might be a while til you blow them out. If youre cutting 1.5 60ft times every weekend, you'll blow them out more quickly than if you just street them and cut maybe a 2.0 60ft time every once and a while. its all in how you drive and what your activities you put your car through are.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

There is ALWAYS a chance to blow out poly bushings, just some companies are stronger than others. MM has a wondeful reputation, so would not be concerned, but would go with the XD. I don't know of any strength tests on them, but would be a good thing to know. I have never researched it to this degree as I am not a drag guy, but....

Ultimately it comes down to grip. The more rear wheel grip one has, the more strain on ALL the components of your ride. If someone was going all out launching at every opportunity, I would just weld the rear axle to the frame

.... looking for the MM XD LCA's, but can't find them on their site

Jazzer

Quick Reply: LCA w/ Speherical bushing help