4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Brakes Creaking???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:36 PM
wrr1020
2nd Gear Member

Default Brakes Creaking???

So after some jackass on the freeway changes lanes right into my lane and almost slams into the left side of my car i had to slam on the brakes to prevent from getting hit. After this incident i noticed my brakes making a strange creaking sound. I did some google searching and actually found a mustang youtube video with the exact problem i have. It's not as bad as the one in the video but its a similar sound. It's the left front brake thats been doing this. Again this is not my car but my problem is identical to the one in the video. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZn5Vj5lZw
Old 02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by wrr1020
So after some jackass on the freeway changes lanes right into my lane and almost slams into the left side of my car i had to slam on the brakes to prevent from getting hit. After this incident i noticed my brakes making a strange creaking sound. I did some google searching and actually found a mustang youtube video with the exact problem i have. It's not as bad as the one in the video but its a similar sound. It's the left front brake thats been doing this. Again this is not my car but my problem is identical to the one in the video. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZn5Vj5lZw
Sounds to me like dry guide pins, or perhaps a dry piston--did you really smoke 'em up when you had to brake hard?

I warped the crap out of my front rotors and burned up the stock pads in early 2007 when I had to lose 55 MPH (the 55 between 125 and 70) real fast when driving from Tallahassee to Jacksonville on I-95 near dusk.

The threat detector sounded off and I stood on the brakes to shed some speed, the cabin filled with smoke and stink, and the rotors must have been cherry red when I passed the cruiser-made it though.

I changed to Brembo slotted rotors and Pep-Boys' ProStop full ceramic pads--no problems since...
Old 02-12-2010, 06:00 PM
wrr1020
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Sounds to me like dry guide pins, or perhaps a dry piston--did you really smoke 'em up when you had to brake hard?

I warped the crap out of my front rotors and burned up the stock pads in early 2007 when I had to lose 55 MPH (the 55 between 125 and 70) real fast when driving from Tallahassee to Jacksonville on I-95 near dusk.

The threat detector sounded off and I stood on the brakes to shed some speed, the cabin filled with smoke and stink, and the rotors must have been cherry red when I passed the cruiser-made it though.

I changed to Brembo slotted rotors and Pep-Boys' ProStop full ceramic pads--no problems since...
There wasn't any smoke, at least i don't think there was, i was too pissed of too even notice. Was going about 80 then slammed on them to about 40-45 mph. The car brakes perfectly fine, no issues their, its just strictly the sound when i press on them. It drives me nuts knowing its doing it.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:36 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

They might have heated up enough to boil off the lubrication on the guide pins? It doesn't sound like you got them that hot, however the brakes are a weak point on GTs--a 3500 lb car with 140+ MPH capability should have been fitted with better brakes...
Old 02-13-2010, 05:40 AM
wrr1020
2nd Gear Member

I should just upgrade to the cobra brake kit already. I've been wanting more stopping power as of late, don't need to and i could just relube my current brakes but i'm trying to find a reason to upgrade lol. Saw late model restoration has the front cobra brake kit for $500. Is there anywhere else that has this setup cheaper. Says it has everything i would need for the conversion just wanna make sure it does. I've also read that ford racing performance parts has the setup cheaper but i am not exactly sure what i would need to complete the setup. Don't see the rotors or the hoses, etc. If anyone can recommend where to get this setup for the cheapest price it would be appreciated.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Front-Calipers

Last edited by wrr1020; 02-13-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

Wow probably better than the giant ticket you would've recieved and a good excuse to buy better brakes.