4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Tried powershifting again lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Tried powershifting again lol

That **** is off the hook.....when it works lol. I did screw up twice though and grinded 2nd badly and now I feel like a dumbass. How many of you guys do it and how often?

Brandon
Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM
RiCe_KiLlEr
4th Gear Member

i only do it at the track, you do it too much and miss gears you have a good chance of over reving your engine n blowin it up, that or messing up the tranny. i would only do it at the track
Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

I don't do it often, only when racing, with that said I haven't grinded any gears. I only grind gears when I get complacent.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

For the most part i do it at the track only. It takes a little bit to get used to it.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:33 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Can someone please explain how to do it exactly? I can easily drive a manual but I have never driven a car worth trying to powershift. Now that my manual conversion is done I'd like to try it sometime.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:43 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Well I would only want to do it at the track but it would require practicing which is what I was doing this weekend

Powershifting is just when you floor the gas pedal and shift gears without lifting off the gas at all....So as you can imagine you need to do it lightning quick and get the timing just right to avoid ****ing up your tranny or bouncing off the rev limiter. I found it pretty helpful to preload the shift **** alittle bit before each shift
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

if you cant find em grind em
Old 02-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

you can work your way to doing it, but at somepoint you just have to take a full stab at it. To be honest ive only missed a very small amount and i prevented from doing major tranny damage by having more of an open grip on the shifter instead of a death grip. just means that when i shifted and missed instead of forcing it into gear my hand popped off saving the tranny....kinda lol
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Powershifting is fun and if done correctly will net you a few tenths in the quarter, but can do serious damage to the tranny especially a stock one. The t-3650 already has weak syncros from what I've been told and powershifting is basically the worst thing for syncros besides not using the clutch at all LOL.

A couple times here of there while at the track or practicing for the track, but should not be done on a regular basis unless you have a built tranny or are ready to buy a new one.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I wonder if my tranny is still ok after missing a powershift like 2-3 times and hearing/feeling heavy grinding trying to get into 2nd....it still shifts just fine...

I don't think I am gonna be doing much of this powershifting until I can afford a new tranny or a 2nd car which I can practice in. Instead I am working on trying to speed shift as fast as a powershift but letting off the gas pedal

Quick Reply: Tried powershifting again lol