4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Questions about Staggered Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Cobra brakes are going to be fine for the track, just mentioning that one can have VERY good brakes without getting new rotors/calipers. Good pads, I run Hawk HP+ all around, with high-temp fluid and SS lines will do wonderfully for all street cars.

You are building a car for the track, so need to be a bit more hardcore especially with cooling issues.

Jazzer
Old 02-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

depending on the size/weight difference staggered setups can, from what i've felt, increase understeer.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:38 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
depending on the size/weight difference staggered setups can, from what i've felt, increase understeer.
I was planning on a 1" diameter diference from front to back to give it a little bit of a raked look, but if it's going to hamper performance I'll keep'em the same.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

jazzer the cat:quote Your right, seems to me the pre-'99 Stangs didn't have ABS.

come on man ur an expert when it comes to stang suspensions and such and then u go and make a comment like that lol. u were prob just playin around right??

u do know that all sn95 mustangs have abs v6-cobra 94-98. the only ones that may not have had the abs system are the 94-96 gts models. and i think even those had abs. op: for the abs system to be activated the tires need to lock up first. so when u said you stomped on the brakes hard but didn't skid, how did u come to the conclusion that you don't have the abs system??? sry for long post in class again and the teacher is talking about god knows what and he is a chevy fan so f$$k em lol
Old 02-23-2010, 09:12 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by massred98gt
jazzer the cat:quote Your right, seems to me the pre-'99 Stangs didn't have ABS.

come on man ur an expert when it comes to stang suspensions and such and then u go and make a comment like that lol. u were prob just playin around right??

u do know that all sn95 mustangs have abs v6-cobra 94-98. the only ones that may not have had the abs system are the 94-96 gts models. and i think even those had abs. op: for the abs system to be activated the tires need to lock up first. so when u said you stomped on the brakes hard but didn't skid, how did u come to the conclusion that you don't have the abs system??? sry for long post in class again and the teacher is talking about god knows what and he is a chevy fan so f$$k em lol
like i said in one of my previous posts...
I jumped on the brakes pretty hard and didn't feel the pedal chatter when the abs kicks in. I plan on takin her out again today once I get my sts installed. I guess I'll just go out and lock'em up to see what happens.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

ya just go mash on it until they lock.....if you don't hear the abs or feel it kickin in then u have a prob.

as far as the staggered wheels go....love the look of an aggressive stance, but if u were to dd the car it tends to wonder on the highway. no bid deal though.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Originally Posted by massred98gt

I was drawing a blank at the moment and didn't feel like researching it (hence the "seems to me" comment

I know that the IRS was introduced in the New Edge ('99~'04) models and this lead to The Jazzers bairn beying fryed
Old 02-23-2010, 11:07 AM
massred98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
I was drawing a blank at the moment and didn't feel like researching it (hence the "seems to me" comment

I know that the IRS was introduced in the New Edge ('99~'04) models and this lead to The Jazzers bairn beying fryed
just giving u Sh*T lol not bashing. we've all had those days like right now i'm taking a calc test and i couldn't tell you one anwser. FML
Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

My 96 gts, 95 gts, 98 gt, and 96 v6 vert DO NOT have abs.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:33 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackMage
My 96 gts, 95 gts, 98 gt, and 96 v6 vert DO NOT have abs.
What about 98 GT vert's?

I did get the sts installed and took it for a test drive, but I totally forgot about testing the brakes.

Quick Reply: Questions about Staggered Wheels