4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Sputtering through gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by agarr19
i thought it might be the tps or my spark plugs idk wat i should do

It is unlikely to be the TPS. However it's quite likely it's the plugs and/or COP boots, and not as likely to be the COPs.

The OEM COPs are rather robust and do not fail anywhere near as often as they get changed out. In fact Ford has a TSB (#03-14-4) asking dealers to not change COPs just for the sake of changing them--it turns out that 50% of the COPs returned to Ford from dealer's warranty work had nothing wrong with them...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:02 PM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
It is unlikely to be the TPS. However it's quite likely it's the plugs and/or COP boots, and not as likely to be the COPs.

The OEM COPs are rather robust and do not fail anywhere near as often as they get changed out. In fact Ford has a TSB (#03-14-4) asking dealers to not change COPs just for the sake of changing them--it turns out that 50% of the COPs returned to Ford from dealer's warranty work had nothing wrong with them...
soo what do you think i should try this is really getting me angry haah
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Same thing happened to me.. I blew a couple COP's...
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Same thing happened to me.. I blew a couple COP's...
so you think i should replace them?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I think what Cliffy was getting after was that you should pull the COP's, one at a time, and inspect the boots for any signs of damage before you get crazy with spending money on new parts. And as somebody else mentioned, while you have your COP's off it may be worthwhile to check your plugs. The TPS is on the front facing side of the plenum (little black box w/ 2 screws fixing it to the plenum), directly across from the throttle cable linkage on the rear facing side if you really want to check it (which can be done with a multimeter on resistance setting). There's a way to check your COP's in terms of measuring resistance, too, between the primary and secondary coils; pretty sure there's a sticky around here somewhere for how to do it and what to look for. Another thing you could do, is if your tuner has datalogging feature you could plug it in and go for a drive and see if it tells you anything (like misfire @cyl#x, etc.), might help you narrow it down some. Also note that most of the things you're suspicious of (bad TPS and COP's) are usually accompanied by a CEL if the problem has been persistent for at least the last 5 drive cycles. In my experience with bad TPS', the throttle was jumpy within a certain moving range of the throttle, not any particular rpm range; nor was it dependent on load or lack of to the engine.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:19 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

check the connection on you Fuel Pump Driver Module (fpdm) i had a random hole in my driver side rear fender well. on we days it would throw water on the connection and screw with the car. its located behind the carpet in the trunk on drivers side.

just something to look into. after that i would look at spark plugs if they havent been touched.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM
agarr19
3rd Gear Member

so what do you guys think i should do first??
Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

so you think i should replace them?
Well in my case, i was 100% sure it was my COP's since i replaced mine with my friends in his GT and the car ran fine with his on my car..

In your case, i would consider pulling the plugs and possibly even changing them. If that didn't work, maybe check your air filter to see if there is water in it. Otherwise, it's probably the COP's. If it's the COP's, you can buy STOCK REPLACEMENTS LIFETIME WARRANTY for $90 shipped... Just look at that sticky about them that devongarver or w/e his name is posted up...
Old 03-02-2010, 04:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

so what do you guys think i should do first??
Please, I mean no offense--however what you need to to is stop whining, complaining, asking the same questions over and over, and waiting for some "magic bullet" to pop up. Then start checking some of the possible causes the good people trying to help you have put forth.

Just pick any one of the suggestions and start taking action...

FWIW, if it was me I'd check for dampness around the FPDM (just to be sure, and because that shouldn't take more the 2-3 minutes), then I'd change the spark plugs and check the COP boots while doing so.

The COPs can be given a field check by measuring the resistance of the primary and secondary windings (here's a link to the COP sticky).
Old 03-02-2010, 04:38 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Please, I mean no offense--however what you need to to is stop whining, complaining, asking the same questions over and over, and waiting for some "magic bullet" to pop up. Then start checking some of the possible causes the good people trying to help you have put forth.

Just pick any one of the suggestions and start taking action...

FWIW, if it was me I'd check for dampness around the FPDM (just to be sure, and because that shouldn't take more the 2-3 minutes), then I'd change the spark plugs and check the COP boots while doing so.

The COPs can be given a field check by measuring the resistance of the primary and secondary windings (here's a link to the COP sticky).
+1 op we keep throwing suggestions out there and you havent tried one yet haha.