4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Engine expers, need your opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Its about time you get a few horses more.. You can change you sig to Big corral, a few more horses..

2v can make power. Its just not as easy as a 4v. Cost wise 4.6L 2v is you best bet for what your looking for. Trickflow is making a Type R head which is made for F/I for keep an eye out. It will be out June. As for you engine, a novi 2000 can make 700+ rwhp. I know you say that 500-550 is plenty but honestly thats what they all said. I would personally build it for 800 rwhp and forget about it. Don't spend all this money on an engine to be limited for 600 rwhp when you can spend $300 or so more to get an engine that can hold much more.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Fobra
Banned

TFS heads have not (IMO) be shown to be worth their price at this point. The compression ratio is based on math, not on what type of blower your running. You need to figure your power goals, your octane, your static and dynamic compression if you want a real answer to that question. As a general rule 8:5:1, is what alot of builders do, because it is forgiving. Notching the pistons on a boosted motor, especially one that could be subjected to laps on a road course should be avoided. Unfortunately, this is not a simple answer if really want to get it the best you could get performance wise (because it changes with power goals). Just to take a guesstamate I would say get some max ported PI heads or stock cobra heads (polish and port if $ allows, if not just polish if $/ experience/DIY guts allows). and run the 2.1 - If you want a turbo I would suggest a 57mm-67mm with a .6x/.7x a/r but no more than .96 (the larger you go the lower the a/r I would run to compensate, you really need to look at maps to know exactly what it will do). All of your standard boost friendly compression ratios will work, if your not going to go all bill nye on your build then I would go lower and add boost (just like the commercial guys do).

Last edited by Fobra; 03-02-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by GTRACER88
Its about time you get a few horses more.. You can change you sig to Big corral, a few more horses..

2v can make power. Its just not as easy as a 4v. Cost wise 4.6L 2v is you best bet for what your looking for. Trickflow is making a Type R head which is made for F/I for keep an eye out. It will be out June. As for you engine, a novi 2000 can make 700+ rwhp. I know you say that 500-550 is plenty but honestly thats what they all said. I would personally build it for 800 rwhp and forget about it. Don't spend all this money on an engine to be limited for 600 rwhp when you can spend $300 or so more to get an engine that can hold much more.
Depends on how serious he is about auto-x. As a general rule, I couldnt agree more.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
TFS heads have not (IMO) be shown to be worth their price at this point. The compression ratio is based on math, not on what type of blower your running. You need to figure your power goals, your octane, your static and dynamic compression if you want a real answer to that question. As a general rule 8:5:1, is what alot of builders do, because it is forgiving. Notching the pistons on a boosted motor, especially one that could be subjected to laps on a road course should be avoided. Unfortunately, this is not a simple answer if really want to get it the best you could get performance wise (because it changes with power goals). Just to take a guesstamate I would say get some max ported PI heads or stock cobra heads (polish and port if $ allows, if not just polish if $/ experience/DIY guts allows). and run the 2.1 - If you want a turbo I would suggest a 57mm-67mm with a .6x/.7x a/r but no more than .96 (the larger you go the lower the a/r I would run to compensate, you really need to look at maps to know exactly what it will do). All of your standard boost friendly compression ratios will work, if your not going to go all bill nye on your build then I would go lower and add boost (just like the commercial guys do).
As far as the TFS heads go, I'm most likely gonna be holding out on heads for awhile since I am wanting a few more people to run these before I go and shell out the big bucks for these as I still haven't found anything conclusive that makes me feel like its a great bang for buck mod. It seems great on paper especially with the flow #'s and everything but just not financially viable atm on a budget build.

I would love to go turbo, only way it'd happen though is if I move to a state that isn't retarded about smog rules.. Where else will you be building a more efficient engine and actually manage to lower emissions but still fail smog?

Depends on how serious he is about auto-x. As a general rule, I couldnt agree more.
I will be getting more serious about it later on but honestly it wont be for awhile and most likely won't be till I get more settled down in my career after college.. which is another year and a half away so I'm not throwing out a possible rebuild but would like something to last me for atleast 100k of spirited fun.

Lols, it's still got more growl than bite so the sig will stay like that for another year unless I can score a great deal on a blower. Unless your talking about traction, which I am loving atm, full MM suspension, built IRS, and 4 pot brembos is a lot of fun=P

I have actually decided that from reading everything you guys posted heh. their signature block would be a smarter choice. I am uncertain tho of the type R head. I would like to grab a kb due to not having to worry about rpms, but I will be in the upper rpm range most of the time while on a run so thats why I am leaning more towards the novi.

Last edited by Aereon; 03-02-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:00 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Kenne bell will have heat soak... especially being constantly in the higher RPMs and will cause your times to suffer. Go with the centri or turbo... screw the rules..
Old 03-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Kenne bell will have heat soak... especially being constantly in the higher RPMs and will cause your times to suffer. Go with the centri or turbo... screw the rules..
completely forgot about heat soak.. and yea I would say that if cali isn't talking about having random chp officers with rolling dyno's pull random people over on the freeways.. one of the guys on the local forums got slapped with a fix it ticket and had to see a smog ref cause of his catted h (2 cats)
Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Ok well then daym... IDK what to tell you then.. that sucks. Novi it is..
Old 03-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Fobra
Banned

Originally Posted by Aereon
completely forgot about heat soak.. and yea I would say that if cali isn't talking about having random chp officers with rolling dyno's pull random people over on the freeways.. one of the guys on the local forums got slapped with a fix it ticket and had to see a smog ref cause of his catted h (2 cats)
Its not like centris dont heat soak. Thats why you dont over-boost it, 8-14lbs is it.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Its not like centris dont heat soak. Thats why you dont over-boost it, 8-14lbs is it.
yea but I figure that the novi will see more direct airflow than a kb would.. I dunno, still soo undecided. I'm just gonna get this shortblock entered into my little excel spreadsheet to help start the budget.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Fobra
Banned

direct air flow? - ehh... I wouldnt base my decision on that, but without a doubt it will cool off faster. Its up to you man, youll generally get better ets and win more street races with a centri as opposed to a twin screw. Turbo powerband is shiz though, the torque lays a whoopin down. Its a tough call for sure. But all things considered (if not like a club racer) then a vortech or the on3 turbo might be your best bang for the $.

Quick Reply: Engine expers, need your opinion.