4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Engine expers, need your opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Stevecooper
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
Its not like centris dont heat soak. Thats why you dont over-boost it, 8-14lbs is it.

+1 I ran my 2.3L twin screw at 14PSI on a road course in the worst conditions... 104F with a heat index (humid as hell) of 114F. I did not have any excessive heat issues.

By design a Twin screw blower will produce less heat at 14.7PSI (not exactly but for arguments sake) than it will at 10psi or 18psi. I hear you talk about compressor maps so I am sure this is not new to you, but it maybe to others.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

well picking the power adder may be a bit tricky lol but id generally say twin screw for the powerband mainly for street driving really, i consider the centri blowers more for drag racing, which is why i dont mind one in anycase, i wouldnt do an aluminum block unless you really need the weight savings, from what i understand they arent reccomended if you plan on over 800hp, and i know your not looking that high, but for the 500-550 range your going to be well into the 600 maybe 700ish. and at that point if you decide you want more power, the whole pullie swap thing is so easy, it would just suck to be like nah cant add it cuz im too close. you know? lol in any case i wouldnt run the TF heads, or swap to a 4v for what your looking for a 2v with like stage 2 heads and cams and a blower would get you where you want to be and not cost you nearly as much. i to thought like you tho, and truth is, you can enjoy your car by spending a little money now, like i plan on doing by running an sc set up that is no where near what i want, or you can save and save and save and build your forged motor and perfect setup and just not be able to use it until its complete. i finally caved and said id rather have more fun now, and make even more fun later lol. my 2cents
Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bman2000
well picking the power adder may be a bit tricky lol but id generally say twin screw for the powerband mainly for street driving really, i consider the centri blowers more for drag racing, which is why i dont mind one in anycase, i wouldnt do an aluminum block unless you really need the weight savings, from what i understand they arent reccomended if you plan on over 800hp, and i know your not looking that high, but for the 500-550 range your going to be well into the 600 maybe 700ish. and at that point if you decide you want more power, the whole pullie swap thing is so easy, it would just suck to be like nah cant add it cuz im too close. you know? lol in any case i wouldnt run the TF heads, or swap to a 4v for what your looking for a 2v with like stage 2 heads and cams and a blower would get you where you want to be and not cost you nearly as much. i to thought like you tho, and truth is, you can enjoy your car by spending a little money now, like i plan on doing by running an sc set up that is no where near what i want, or you can save and save and save and build your forged motor and perfect setup and just not be able to use it until its complete. i finally caved and said id rather have more fun now, and make even more fun later lol. my 2cents
I'm having more than enough fun pulling high G's through turns=P I'm most likely gonna be doing an engine build before I go SC, only way I'd go and sc the car first is if I get a great deal on one.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

thats pretty much why i did it. figured building the 1500 sc thing was worth the extra fun till i can forge and turbo the bitch. but then again im a bit more addicted to going fast down the strip than around a corner.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

and most of what i will get for the sc ill be able to sell for probebly at least half of what i paid for it, and that aint not that bad lol
Old 03-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
Sounds good, thats, pretty much what I'm looking for as far as answers go. I am thinking of having the guys build the block around the TFS heads, I'm actually leaning more towards the centri (novi 2k) due to a more DD friendly curve. Due to Nazifornia's smog rules I am very limited as far as cams go, and even though I would love nothing more than to run a turbo setup (I'm a hugeeeeee turbo fan boy) but don't want to deal with the hassle of trying to find a way to smog it every 2 years=/

If I go with the 800 signature aluminum block, should I be looking into any of the short block upgrades? I would like to try and keep my longblock build under 6k since I think it is a reasonable price that I'd be able to save up for or have the guys at the shop slowly build it for me within a year.
If your goal is 500 rwhp or slightly under you will save coin on the fuel delivery setup. Anything over 500 rwhp requires new fuel rail upgrades and dual pumps in the tank. I recommend going with MMR 800 short block, blower cams/springs, and blower of your choice with stock heads (p&p). If you have money then by all means go with some heads as you won't need as much boost to hit your numbers.

Just my two cents.