4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Dumb newb question (TCS)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

I can't comment on the tcs, but the extra switch space next to the fog light switch would be for the ragtop, if you had one. At least, thats where the ragtop button is in my 98.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

start pulling fuses lol
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

haha finding what fuse it is might be the easy fix
Old 03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

Just called the dealer's service department and they thought that having traction control didn't necessarily mean it would have the on/off button. Does this sound wrong to anyone else but me? I figure if TCS is an option, the button would go along with it
Old 03-05-2010, 02:04 PM
lilcrate
4th Gear Member

I dont see how they could equip it without the button, but i have heard of being able to purchase the button kit fairly cheap.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:18 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

It should have a button to go with it. Ive never seen a vehicle that had TC that didnt come with a button to turn it off. And cliffy, that was the picture i was going to post last night but i didnt feel like putting all the effort into putting it into photobucket and yadda yadda yadda.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:04 PM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

Ford's service department had no idea why it would be missing. I finally got some pictures tonight, sorry for the bad quality but I only had my phone at the time. I know this car had been at auction previously, and I'm beginning it was some idiot stealing parts rather than a factory error.

In the pictures below you can see the plastic piece around the shifter where the TCS switch should be. I then pulled it off, and you can see there is an unused plug coming out right next to the back side of the cigarette lighter. Is that what everyone's TCS switch is hooked up to? I'm thinking some DA took off the plastic cover and the switch and swapped it with another car at auction.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 PM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

edit: Its hard to tell in the pictures, but in the first pic with the plastic cover installed you can see a small gap at the top of the cover. The left and ride side are the right height, but it dips down in the middle I would assume to give extra clearance to the radio. However, the bottom of the radio is perfectly flat. It really seems like the part was ganked from my car when it was at an auction and swapped with a similar piece.

Someone just please tell me the unused plug back there is in fact the TCS switch plug, I have no problem getting that plastic piece replaced and getting a new switch
Old 03-05-2010, 08:17 PM
brys00gt
2nd Gear Member

I believe that is the harness connector for the TC switch. Best advice is try to go to a junkyard and see if they have a switch that you can try. I have a 2000 but shes away for the winter and I wont be able to get there until the middle of the week. Ill check back then and if you dont have an answer I will check it out.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:52 PM
dr.apex
2nd Gear Member

I don't think that is the harness for traction control. I've checked all of fords traction control buttons and their plugs don't match your harness.

Quick Reply: Dumb newb question (TCS)