4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Is It true?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

Default Is It true?

I was reading on here and someone said its not worth stroking a 4.62v true or not? My goal is 400RWHP and im tired of hearing ppl say slap a supercharger on there and call it a day that cant be good for it. I need to know a way to reach that goal or really close to it NA. I dont care bout the money either i have enough for now i have been saving for a while since i got back from my deployment. and once the engine is that powerful what else should i do? I only have pullies, CAI, and short shifter on my 02 gt o and some stickers that added like 5hp a piece! Na im joking.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The only way to make that kinda power is if you forge the bottom end with high compression, use the new TFS heads and have them ported, get some custom ground cams, better valvesprings, short runner intake, stepped headers, full 3" exhaust and then build the rest of the drivetrain to handle the power. Youre looking at over 10k just to get 400hp when you could be at that number for around $3-4k. Trust men, i thought about doing that but when you think about it, it just doesnt add up to be worth it and that combo will hardly be streetable. A blower isnt exactly good for a motor, but it isnt horrible that youre going to blow it up the day after you put it on if everything is tuned right and you have the fuel you need. But if you really want that much power and youre willing to drop all that coin on the N/A setup, you can do the forged bottom end and add a blower and be at or above your goal with less money than you would be if you did the heads/cams/intake.

And to answer your question about stroking the motor being beneficial, it really depends on the setup.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

I say go for it, you never see fully built 2v's. if you could get a balanced bottom end capable of 7000+ rpms and the cams to match, ported Trickflows should flow close to 300cfms, so i bet you could get 400rwhp. Like Teej said though, for the same price you could make alot more power BUT In my opinion N/a is more fun and i like being the underdog, because no one will thing twice about a n/a 4.6 lol. I say go for it and dont look back
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM
03GeeTee
3rd Gear Member

IMO, The reason people say slap a blower on is because they're trying to help you out. You are going to spend a ****load of money on an N/A setup just to get your *** handed to you by someone with a blower who spent much less.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by boduke0220
I say go for it, you never see fully built 2v's. if you could get a balanced bottom end capable of 7000+ rpms and the cams to match, ported Trickflows should flow close to 300cfms, so i bet you could get 400rwhp. Like Teej said though, for the same price you could make alot more power BUT In my opinion N/a is more fun and i like being the underdog, because no one will thing twice about a n/a 4.6 lol. I say go for it and dont look back
You and I think very similar. lol but the TFS heads I dont think would be close to 300cfm. I have been hearing somewhere at about 280 is the highest i think i've been told. Thats a rough guestimation though because that was calculating numbers that MMR sent me about their heads and how they have stages 1-3 of ported TFS heads. But I agree that it would be awesome to see a 2v 400rwhp monster...but if OP wants street manors i dont think it will be possible. That motor there would be a race motor.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 AM
c_espitia
2nd Gear Member

ok cool guys thanks for all the helpfull info but heres a twist. im getting another 2v engine my cousins giving me its a late 01 gt engine. im going to work on that and i decided too much money to go NA so i will go SC eventually but what do i need to start on getting for this new project engine? should i port and polish bore it out if so how much etc.... thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

forged bottom end. only time you need to bore & stroke or port n polish is if you building a n/a setup or aiming for 700+hp IMO
Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I dont know I would rather spend 9-11k on a built block with a turbo set up , then add a built tranny and RE when funds are available. Thats just me tho , Personally I like power adders better then N/A cars but if you build a 350+ plus N/A 2v then Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM
dastangman
2nd Gear Member

we have a pretty long stroke as it is...most be don't recommend this, because many times it leads to more problems. i cant't say for sure what problems or how often or what brands, but these things i have heard even on this forum
Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by c_espitia
ok cool guys thanks for all the helpfull info but heres a twist. im getting another 2v engine my cousins giving me its a late 01 gt engine. im going to work on that and i decided too much money to go NA so i will go SC eventually but what do i need to start on getting for this new project engine? should i port and polish bore it out if so how much etc.... thanks
I still don't think you have done any or enough research on this, which you need to.

If you want to stay "cheap" just buy a s/c and put it on. End of story. Then when money permits, you can buy the supporting mods (tranny, rearend etc) to make more power. If you plan on forging the motor and running a lot of boost your still going to be spending a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Is It true?