4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

drove an '08 GT....eh

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i like the foxbody setup for switches that takes over the cupholder

not like the cupholders in these cars are worth anything anyways lol
Old 03-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Great discussion going on here i'm taking it in however....lets keep things in perspective here. Imagine the outrage if Ford released the following news along side the new 5.0. "Also, in addition to our new powertrain we have decided to ditch the cupholders, AC, IRS and sway bar!!!!!!!!"

Comon now.......its 2010 lets act like it. Being more DD friendly and ideal for actual street use(aside from a dedicated dragster) does NOT at all take away from its muscle essence. I think we are SERIOUSLY mistaking being contemporary with selling out or abandoning roots. Abandoning roots and selling out is the Chevy Impala. Look at a 2010 Impala and a 70s Impala, same car? Huh?

For anybody who feels personally justified to express the opinion that Mustangs just aren't the same since the 1970s because of progression....well.....1920s Henry Ford thinks you drove a ***** car because it could take corners at more than 30 MPH and the coolant system actually worked sufficiently at a standstill.

Though I dont feel as qualified as the older guys who actually experienced it all back then to point out the allegedly vast difference in muscle feel.......I do feel responsible for carrying on that passion and understanding of the muscle culture by learning from the veterans while at the same time embracing my own time and my own generation of Mustangs.

Kind of off topic by I think this is synonymous with the baby boomers' stance towards modern music. Though kids that love classic rock and want to learn about their roots are a dime a dozen. NOWHERE is there a baby boomer embracing newer music. I really don't get it. And the most frustrating part about it is that the justification is the same old moniker. "Music just isnt the same anymore." Sound familiar? Well, in a way just like with mustangs you are right technically but it is just as great, it has progressed while still doing what it did 40 years ago. If the newer music was given a fair chance with the right frame of mind you'd find something you like....a lot.

Hell I wrote this post up while listening to The BeeGees - More than A Woman, Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley and The Rolling Stones - Midnight Rambler. I don't think i'll hear of anybody of a past generation saying they were listening to Jay Z or The Arcade Fire while writing a post anytime soon.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire
Great discussion going on here i'm taking it in however....lets keep things in perspective here. Imagine the outrage if Ford released the following news along side the new 5.0. "Also, in addition to our new powertrain we have decided to ditch the cupholders, AC, IRS and sway bar!!!!!!!!"

Comon now.......its 2010 lets act like it. Being more DD friendly and ideal for actual street use(aside from a dedicated dragster) does NOT at all take away from its muscle essence. I think we are SERIOUSLY mistaking being contemporary with selling out or abandoning roots. Abandoning roots and selling out is the Chevy Impala. Look at a 2010 Impala and a 70s Impala, same car? Huh?

For anybody who feels personally justified to express the opinion that Mustangs just aren't the same since the 1970s because of progression....well.....1920s Henry Ford thinks you drove a ***** car because it could take corners at more than 30 MPH and the coolant system actually worked sufficiently at a standstill.

Though I dont feel as qualified as the older guys who actually experienced it all back then to point out the allegedly vast difference in muscle feel.......I do feel responsible for carrying on that passion and understanding of the muscle culture by learning from the veterans while at the same time embracing my own time and my own generation of Mustangs.

Kind of off topic by I think this is synonymous with the baby boomers' stance towards modern music. Though kids that love classic rock and want to learn about their roots are a dime a dozen. NOWHERE is there a baby boomer embracing newer music. I really don't get it. And the most frustrating part about it is that the justification is the same old moniker. "Music just isnt the same anymore." Sound familiar? Well, in a way just like with mustangs you are right technically but it is just as great, it has progressed while still doing what it did 40 years ago. If the newer music was given a fair chance with the right frame of mind you'd find something you like....a lot.

Hell I wrote this post up while listening to The BeeGees - More than A Woman, Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley and The Rolling Stones - Midnight Rambler. I don't think i'll hear of anybody of a past generation saying they were listening to Jay Z or The Arcade Fire while writing a post anytime soon.

Very, very, very good point. I agree with you 100%

I've only driven one other Mustang besides my '00 GT, a white '05 V6 and that car was a lot of fun too. I personally think that the S197s are a lot better all around then the New Edges. That being said, I love mine to death and wouldn't trade it for the world
Old 03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I like being blown hence the new car
Old 03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hangwire

I get what you're saying here but I couldn't believe the "sound tube" cliffyk mentioned which started all this discussion. That "sound tube" doesn't fit in the same category as air conditioning and cupholders that is ridiculous.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

In my opinion the new edge will go down as being the last true mustang/ american muscle car. It doesn't have a ton of junk features to take away the pure feeling of it. Has a solid feeling cable clutch instead o the horrible feeling hydraulic clutch and in all has that loud, noisy, rough riding raw power feel
Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

I drove an '06 GT recently and like the OP, I wasn't dazzled either. I expected a little more in terms of power; I thought it would give my current ride a real run for the money, which it didn't. Although with some gears and a few bolt-ons I'm sure things would be different. I'd still like to have one, but the biggest thing I learned is that I won't be trading in my '01 as a means to do it. And regarding the "sound tube" thing; my car has two of them behind the rear tires that do a pretty good job.

Last edited by Z28KLR; 03-10-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

I've driven a 07 GT before. I...kinda hated it. The new platform feels like I'm driving a low to the ground minivan. Just lots of blind spots, and it kinda feels like a bathtub on wheels. The interior is better than the 99-04's, that's for sure. But, at the end of the day, I don't think I'd buy a 2005-2009. IMO, it seems like they finally got it right with the 2010+ look. It looks more like a mean muscle car. The 2005 Mustang just seemed more like a "Bling Bling, look I'm trying too hard to be retro" car.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:37 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
I drove an '06 GT recently and like the OP, I wasn't dazzled either. I expected a little more in terms of power; I thought it would give my current ride a real run for the money, which it didn't. Although with some gears and a few bolt-ons I'm sure things would be different. I'd still like to have one, but the biggest thing I learned is that I won't be trading in my '01 as a means to do it. And regarding the "sound tube" thing; my car has two of them behind the rear tires that do a pretty good job.
i second that. but to non car enthusiats....the new stangs are prob great. can get a navi system in it, it's quiet, comfy, and better yet it's a MUSTANG! WHOOHOO!

but like alot of people on here have stated, being into cars and what makes a car fun and exciting to drive has alot of different aspects to it. i can see WHY ford did what they did. they made a "muscle car" that a soccer mom could drive. but to ppl like us, well we take it, make the suspensions lower, sometimes stiffer, make the car louder via exhaust, and switch shifters to make them more precise and stiffer feel.

essentilly i see it as we undo all that Ford did to make it an "everybody friendly" car lol. So i guess what im saying is that from a car enthusiast standpoint i dont like it. But for someone who wants to say they own a mustang (non car enthusiast) then it's prob a cool car for them. in the end Ford has to make cars that will sell. Otherwise the stangs will be like the Cobra R's with NO goodies....a factory racecar lol

Hangwire...you call it progression, i call it making cars that they can sell the the widest range of people.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

funny, I felt the exact same way as you...they seem too nice to be mustangs lol

Quick Reply: drove an '08 GT....eh