4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

268whp and 310tq. Want more bolt on power!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Im getting my car dyno tuned tomorrow w/ my new edelbrock intake. Before the cam I made 229hp/251tq (mustang dyno), and after the cam i made 257hp/264tq. So it was a decent gain i thought for just a cam, and a MILD tune.

Im excited to see the new numbers on a dyno jet w/ the intake. Idk what my mustang dyno numbers translate to on a dynojet ( I thought maybe 285-290). But we'll see.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

OP....go buy an intake manifold...spend all your cash on it, you will get 70+ rwhp and put the hurting on some lamborghinis, brah....but make sure to attach the sticker that comes in the box with it, you will get an extra 13.958395rwhp from that alone

get a logan or p51 or whatever the most expensive one is, more flow = more speed! forget low end, just start revving to 9k and call it a day

as for the proof i was talking about, what exactly are you looking for? dyno sheets from biased companies with a product to sell? there have been several threads on this forum where people have posted up asking why they are running .3-.5 slow in the quarter after adding the intake, that alone is proof right there that it hurt their low end enough to affect the useable power....

like said before, i didnt say theyre all junk...i believe theres a few people here with the edelbrock making decent numbers, but if you go that route youre not just buying the intake, so pitching it as just bolting on an intake isnt accurate since you have to buy the supporting stuff for it..and really, on a bolt on car, even the edelbrock isnt going to give much gains, although i have not seen anyone post about it hurting performance like the others have

and nobody is talking about the typhoon....everyone knows that thing is junk

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 03-09-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
I have every bolt on that you can do, and make 269 rwhp & 305 rwtq. Even my numbers are somewhat generous for full bolt ons.

Honestly, dynos can be made to say whatever the tuner wants them to. With that in mind, your particular dyno sounds inflated based on your mods.

To hit 285 rwhp (on a properly calibrated dynojet) you will most definitely need cams.
This^
Old 03-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
you have no idea what youre talking about...please just stop

pullies are a debatable mod AT BEST...i bet you see maybe 1hp increase on the dyno, IF that...

tb isnt the choke point...he would want to upgrade the TB and the plenum both

intake manifold... its been proven that bolt on cars are losing power in the usable power range by adding aftermarket intake manifolds...unless he has FI or some crazy *** engine build, his stock manifold is ideal

CAI...these cars have CAIs from the factory... remove the silencer for better flow....the aftermarket cai kits are for appearance...also, if you noticed...it was the first mod he listed...he already has one

if he did the mods you just suggested, he would NOT gain 10hp, his car would lose a few tenths at the track, and he would be throwing away money

tb/plenum would be the only additional bolt on worth anything that you just suggested...

OP...tb/plenum should be your only bolt on left worth anything...do that and get some gears

if you want 285rwhp easy, just tell your tuner to inflate his dyno results a little more...he obviously knows how already if he fed you those numbers on an exhaust only 2v
lol...your a dick....i like you wanna race moving on....your right...people shouldnt get so mad about that...hell ive put most of those things on my car, and i drag all the time...and ill tell ya what, no good out of the under drive, or the intake...but then again i put a typhoon knock off on lol....how much ****tyier can you get. altho it does well for one run before the heatsoak kills it.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:57 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
Im getting my car dyno tuned tomorrow w/ my new edelbrock intake. Before the cam I made 229hp/251tq (mustang dyno), and after the cam i made 257hp/264tq. So it was a decent gain i thought for just a cam, and a MILD tune.

Im excited to see the new numbers on a dyno jet w/ the intake. Idk what my mustang dyno numbers translate to on a dynojet ( I thought maybe 285-290). But we'll see.

if youre wanting to see improvements with the intake, you need to go back to the same dyno in similar weather conditions that you had for the baseline run.... switching dynos like that wont give you an accurate number, especially if youre trying to "translate" it....ive heard good things about the edelbrock, is there a chance you can get back to the same dyno that did the other pull and run it again to get a better comparison? ive seen cars gain/lose 30rwhp just switching dyno to dyno..
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

word.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 PM
therat1989
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure of the numbers before. I had my car dyno'd on the old motor and it made 258 and 292. Dan wouldn't run my new motor all the way to redline as the car was running very lean. All the exhaust was on the car when I got it. I would love to do cams but am worried about cost. If it could be done cheaper I would already do it but I want to have a really high whp with just bolt ons. And considering the numbers it makes with just full exhaust and a tune I'd say I might be able to hit the 285whp mark.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:27 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
if youre wanting to see improvements with the intake, you need to go back to the same dyno in similar weather conditions that you had for the baseline run.... switching dynos like that wont give you an accurate number, especially if youre trying to "translate" it....ive heard good things about the edelbrock, is there a chance you can get back to the same dyno that did the other pull and run it again to get a better comparison? ive seen cars gain/lose 30rwhp just switching dyno to dyno..
Well...you see the shop that did all my installs is having issues w/ the car throwing codes w/ every tune they put on it. So im taking it to another shop to just see what they think is wrong to get a second opinion. And the two shops have different dynos...sooo ill try and get it on the mustang dyno but idk. I know what you're sayin about the different dynos but im just really lookin to get this thing running right first lol.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

dynos are tools, for tuning...its not about whos **** is bigger...bring that high numbered gt to a track and see if it can even stack up to my bolt on car without lts on it...cuz im betting you cant...dyno #s in bolt on cars are pretty much for show because they dont really mean anything....not trying to be a dick. but hey. ive seens cars making more power than me that cant beat me to the 1/8 if you want the numbers just have them change them. otherwise bring your car to the track and use that to base your new improvments off of.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Ok wow...def just stating that i know the numbers will be different and that it WILL be for tuning...so idk wtf you read Bman? Why you all of a sudden challenging me to a race? Wow lol.

EDIT: Hhahaha def just read the OPs post above mine...oops sorry Bman thought you were talking to me lol

Quick Reply: 268whp and 310tq. Want more bolt on power!