4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

13" Front Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default 13" Front Brake Upgrade

Well guys. I picked up a set of mach 1 rear brakes for $75. I got the calipers, rotors, pads, mounting brackets, moan braces, and dust shields. I think it was a great deal.

The reason i got the rears was because i plan on doing the fronts as well. I dont want a 13" front rotor with a small 10.5" rotor out back. For $75, how could i go wrong? (hopefully the rotors will hold for me. the brake pads are thin but ill make it through a year easily. Rotors look fine but they could be warped. Idk if they can be turned or not. ill find out soon though) My gears will be installed with the rear brakes so ill be killing 2 birds with one stone.

Do you guys think i did good on the rears for the price?

Anyway, i plan on getting these calipers.. $209 SHIPPED
http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=689cPath=6

And these rotors.. $50x2 - $100 + $15 Shipping so $115 SHIPPED
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-1125C

Now the rotors say that they do not come with hub assembly. WTF is that? I am guessing that i dont even have to worry about that. I mean idk what it even is.

Is that all i am going to need for the front conversion? The calipers come with the brake pads, and mounting brackets. And then the blank rotors themselves. I don't need any banjo bolts since i want the bullitt brakes correct?

Also, do i need to buy new brake hoses? I know that i should upgrade to Stainless Steel lines, but can i just re-use my STOCK GT LINES?

I have searched about the brake lines for quite some time now and i cant find an answer.. Please enlighten me.

So all in all, can i get away with paying $324 for my front conversion?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM
freefallin98
3rd Gear Member

I like those calipers. But will they have a significant improvement over the factory setup if a guy was to go with some bigger, nicer rotors?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:15 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

As far as the fronts? I have heard that the braking is AWESOME compared to the GT/V6 brakes. I must be one of the few, but i seriously think that our brakes suck. I don't feel confident stopping anywhere or anytime. I need to push my pedal in quite far in order to do regular daily driving braking. It really sucks. Every other car i have been in has better brakes. Why would they put such small sh*tty brakes on cars like this...

I think it was HOSS who said that a GT's 60-0 is 135ft.
A cobra's is 119ft.
A new vette is 110ft...

So the cobra has some damn good brakes for stock...
Old 03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Would it be worth it to get these SS lines? It says that they fit 99-04GT, but aren't the front brake lines the same for all 99-04 mustangs?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/9904-s...ake-lines.html
Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

the upgrade is definitely noticeable, hoewevr, I got these http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=671cPath=6 i dont know if theres any difference aside form the banjo bolts. I would definitely get the stainless steel lines you cant go wrong with those, its very easy to do. They had a killer deal over the summer on buyfordracing.com i think it was 350.00 for the cobra brakes brembo rotors pads and ss lines its too bad they no longer have it.

Also if the calipers do not come with new copper washers I would purchase new ones. Looks like You have everything you need for the upgrade. Also whats great about those calipers is they already come pre pressed in so you just have to bolt it right up.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

can you run these with skinnies on a 15" wheel?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

^You need a 17" wheel to clear the brakes
Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

thats what i thought...lame
Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MineralGrey
the upgrade is definitely noticeable, hoewevr, I got these http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr..._id=671cPath=6 i dont know if theres any difference aside form the banjo bolts. I would definitely get the stainless steel lines you cant go wrong with those, its very easy to do. They had a killer deal over the summer on buyfordracing.com i think it was 350.00 for the cobra brakes brembo rotors pads and ss lines its too bad they no longer have it.

Also if the calipers do not come with new copper washers I would purchase new ones. Looks like You have everything you need for the upgrade. Also whats great about those calipers is they already come pre pressed in so you just have to bolt it right up.
Why thank you. Yeah the only difference is the cobra calipers seem to have a course thread banjo bolt. I want the bullitt upgrade bc it seems to be the cheapest and i dont want anything that says "COBRA" on my car. The stock banjo bolts work with the bullitt calipers..

So i am looking at like $380 for a full conversion up front... Plus some DOT-4 brake fluid i guess? All brake lines are the same up front for each model, correct?

How much brake fluid do i need to do all four corners?

Damn i need my tax return to come in...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

BlackPony, all you have to do is run spacers up front for 15" skinnies and you should be fine. Might have to grind the caliper down a bit, but i'd ask guys over on SVTP about that. They seem to run slicks and skinnies all the damn time and i dont think any of them are running GT brakes. lol

And HP, you might want to look into the internals of your braking system to be sticking. Either that or your calipers themselves are sticking. The part about having to push the pedal down pretty far happened to me when i swapped out the ABS brake apparatus last spring. The thing was on a wrecked car that had only 10k miles but it was kinda seized up inside and after driving it for like 2 days it freed itself up. Might want to look into something sticking inside the braking system...or new pads/rotors would probably help. My brakes grab from like the second i push the pedal in...or very soon there after.

Last edited by teej281; 03-10-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 13" Front Brake Upgrade