4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

functional wing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM
saleenkill
1st Gear Member

Default functional wing

What is a good functional wing for 99-04 mustang?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

The only functional wings that i know of are the Cobra R, Steeda, and an aluminum racing wing for dragging when you are like sub 10's in the 1/4. I dont even know if the aftermarket cobra r wings are even that much functional as their design might be slightly different but the look is generally the same. I think the best one for a street car would the the steeda wing.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:32 AM
JerseyTrueBlue
1st Gear Member

Yeah the steeda would be your best bet, but all those wings are so ugly lol. Why are you looking for a functional one?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i have a steeda wing, not all that bad, it was weird adjusting to looking at it in the beginning but now it looks natural and i feel like it makes the rear of your car wider or something...i did notice a difference when travelling at like 40mph or higher because of the wing...maybe it was just in my head but i felt like it was like more aerodynamic? idk, maybe im just nuts lol.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 AM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

steeda wing is rice...no offense darkshadow...its wider than the damn decklid and hangs off the sides

to the OP: as for being "functional"....your car isnt fast enough, and isnt used for any purpose that would make that wing a good choice for you

further more, the "functionality" is so limited that in Grand-Am racing series that allow only the steeda wing, about half the cars do not even run a wing at all

any true functional wing is going to be obnoxious looking and your car isnt fast enough to need one OP unless youre into some crazy track racing...and if thats the case and you have a built track car, you should NOT be looking at the steeda wing...like said before, its functionality is so limited that a lot of race cars will not even run it, even when its the only choice

for a true functional wing, check out the agent 47 stuff...may be hard to find for our cars since theyre not being made currently because agent 47 is on to the s197 **** now

agent 47 a-wing

also, a cobra r wing

and griggs has a wing also GR40R

now, if youre talking drag racing, and you have a pro stock car...skinny kid makes nice aluminum wings

Last edited by 99BlackPonyGT; 03-11-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Yea I know many of the mustang guys would consider the steeds wing rice. But I don't and that's all that matters.. I think It greatly enhances the looknof my vehicle and gives it more of a race look, but I also bought the wing for appearance because I knew a lot of people didn't use it and I believe most of the other wings available for these cars just look stupid lol.. Just an opinion.. I liked the steeda wing so I bought it.. When you dare to be different you must also accept the potential critisizm to come. Good luck with whatever you choose. And I wouldn't recommend a wing based on functionality, I think if you don't like the stock wing get one that you do like the looks of.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

I dont think the steeda wing looks too ricer at all. Yeah true it is a bit wider than the car so i guess that may look rice-ish but it doesnt stick up a foot off the trunk lid, its not obnoxious, and imo it blends in well with the car just a tad bit more aggressive. On the whole functionality aspect, I have heard people say that it really helps with interstate speeds, makes the car much more stable especially around 18 wheelers where air flow is all jacked up
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

See. I thought I was crazy but I really Thought I noticed a difference over 40... And now that you mention it my gt stays planted on the parkway so much easier that my v6 of the same body.. Maybe this is because of the wing? Nevr thought of it.. But yea the steeda wing does look weird in the beginning and I've taken my share of crap calling it rice but I like it and it does give it a more aggressive race look.. Why I bought it lol. This is tough because u are gonna get the closed minded people that call em rice and don't care what u have to say and then the people that like it Nd don't think it's rice and it's gonna become a war lol.. Big debate in the making here
Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I'd like to see the steeda wing on a convertible.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
See. I thought I was crazy but I really Thought I noticed a difference over 40... And now that you mention it my gt stays planted on the parkway so much easier that my v6 of the same body.. Maybe this is because of the wing? Nevr thought of it.. But yea the steeda wing does look weird in the beginning and I've taken my share of crap calling it rice but I like it and it does give it a more aggressive race look.. Why I bought it lol. This is tough because u are gonna get the closed minded people that call em rice and don't care what u have to say and then the people that like it Nd don't think it's rice and it's gonna become a war lol.. Big debate in the making here

haha I agree and I may get verbally stoned for saying this but if for example you were to take the Steeda Wing and the Cobra R wing and ask someone who didnt know what they came off of which was more ricer I really think they would say the R wing. Dont get me wrong I love it on the Cobra R but the thing is enormous, just like all that crap on the back of all those civics, just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: functional wing