4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Few n00b questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 PM
SideSwipe
1st Gear Member

Default Few n00b questions

Well since im completely new to these cars i thought id get some professional advice. I just picked up my 00 GT recently and want to change all the fluids as im pretty sure its never been done before. I want to change the oil, tranny fluid, rear transaxle fluid, and put in new brake fluid as well (il be doing the entire brakes). Now should i get all these fluids from the dealership or is there better stuff out there? For the oil il use Castrol Syntec 5w30. What about the rest of the stuff?

My other question is, if i ever decided to get a supercharger, will a stock one off a 03-04 Cobra bolt right in? Can the stock motor handle it, or does anything need to be changed?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Download an owners manual here, and use any fluids that meet the OEM specs--you'll be fine...
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

The BEST motor oils claim a boost of maybe a couple horsepower. Amsoil...Royal Purp...Castrol...all these expensive lubricants do the same things. Odds are you arent running a race engine. You'll be fine with the CHEVRON oil that the dealer uses.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

+1 to cliffyk on that.

As for the supercharger.

No, not even close, you will need to do a complete 4v swap with 99+ 4v heads an 03/04 cobra lower intake the blower timing cover tb/plenum etc etc Not to mention injectors and a fuel pump etc everything you need for supercharger power levels anyway. I have heard tork-tech(sp*?) makes an adapter kit but i belive its expensive.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:42 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
The BEST motor oils claim a boost of maybe a couple horsepower. Amsoil...Royal Purp...Castrol...all these expensive lubricants do the same things. Odds are you arent running a race engine. You'll be fine with the CHEVRON oil that the dealer uses.
+1 on the amsoil. i was sponsered by them last MX season
Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

If you aren't going to be doing intense driving of any kind, any oil is fine. 5W-20, 6 Quarts.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 AM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

to put a supercharger on from a 03/04 you dont need to do a full 4v swap. you would need to get the kit from tork tech. they have a non intercooled kit for like 1500 i think and an intercooled kit for $1900 the kit comes with a new aluminum lower intake manifold (thats whats needed to make the Easton bolt right on), the intercooler, the front engine cross brace assembly with a couple of pullies.

what you would still need is the supercharger its self, new fuel injectors, better fuel pump, complete air intake assembly, and other things.

If you had an easton sitting around it would be a nice supercharger set up since it should get you 350-400 rwhp but if you had to buy a supercharger for the kit you should look at some other options like the $1500 supercharger stickie as this one would be costly fo the power you would see.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 AM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

When I did my 4.10s, I just put regular old motorcraft in the rear plus the friction modifier. Oil, I would stick with Amsoil or Mobil 1 full syn. tranny fluid, again, just stick with motorcraft, but don't just do a drain and refill on the tranny, get it back flushed, you will need twice the amount of fluid, but it is worth it.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
SideSwipe
1st Gear Member

K thanks guys
Old 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM
SideSwipe
1st Gear Member

Well i bought 3 liters of motorcraft transmission fluid and 3 liters of diff fluid. I also bought the brake fluid. I got everything from the dealership. It friggin cost me $130 CDN because the diff fluid is $27 a liter. Also theu gave me the automatic transmission fluid and said thats the stuff that manuals use as well...can someone confirm this is true? I never trust dealers...i know the tranny takes 3.1L but in the manual it doesnt say how much the diff takes, anyone know? Oh and i got the additive for the diff fluid as well.

Quick Reply: Few n00b questions