4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New pics! Lowered my 96 GT w/ new shoes and a number of mods!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 10:30 PM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Default New pics! Lowered my 96 GT w/ new shoes and a number of mods!

Over the last week, my 96 GT got the following upgrades:

-Lowered ~1" with Steeda Sport springs & new top ISOs only, no bottom ISOs
-MM Extreme Duty LCAs
-OE Wheels chrome 10th Anniversary Cobras, 17x9 & 17x10 with Falken ZE-512 245/45s (already had them, they're too narrow) & Nitto 555 285/40s.
-AM chrome headlights & corners (I have fogs too, just haven't been able to put them on yet)
-Speed of Sound dual gauge pod replacement A-pillar with Auto Meter GS Series electric oil pressure & wideband A/F meter gauges
-AM chrome gauge cluster surrounds
-AM polished silver shifter surround

Stock:

All work except for the the wheels:

With the new wheels (try to ignore the rain, lame Ohio weather):

My initial thoughts are that I love the new stance and lowered look, the ride is MUCH more firm, the rear end feels more solid, the gauge cluster & shifter surrounds add some nice pop to the interior, the new pillar looks clean & stock, the gauges are easily read and add a sportiness to the car, and the new headlights & corners are a HUGE improvement over the nasty yellowed stockers. I love the deep dish rear wheels & the nice width of the 285/40s, but honestly, I'm having some second thoughts about my rims selection; it may be because the front tires are way too narrow (I had this brand new pair of 245/45s already and was hoping to get more use out of them, but they're just way too narrow for the new 9" wide front rims) and the black center caps right now, but with them actually on my car, something doesn't quite look right.

Let me know what you think. The only "problems" I've encountered so far are that I just have to be more careful because of the lowered ride height and the ride could be considered harsh & rough, but those are expected side affects of lowering. I do have a pretty significant vibration at 55 and up, mostly under acceleration; I started to notice it at the end of last season, but it's gotten worse with the new springs (pretty sure I just feel it more now), so I need to figure out what's going on, but that's got nothing to do with any of the mods.

Last edited by nagata; 03-14-2010 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Added a photo of it stock
Old 03-14-2010, 10:36 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Looks good! Those chrome gauge rings are a pain in the *** to install, but they look great.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Idk...it still looks high to me. I woulda lowered it more IMO.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Personally I love the drop , that Height is perfect and I really like them wheels. Your car looks good man.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I would have lowered more, not gotten the chrome wheels(i dont like them with your car for some reason), and the added vibration might be due to the spherical/spherical nature of the lower control arms you just installed. And take your car in for an alignment. My car was fine in speeds under 60mph but after 60 my car vibrated like a ****. Got an alignment and now shes smooth as butter. Where are you feeling the vibration coming from??? Are you feeling it in the steering wheel or in your seat or what???
Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 AM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JC316
Looks good! Those chrome gauge rings are a pain in the *** to install, but they look great.
Thanks. Yes, they were a HUGE PITA to install, but the end result is worth it I think.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, both compliments and constructive criticism. I know what you guys mean, more drop would've been nice, and I thought about going for a 1.5"-2" drop, but decided to stick closer to 1" because I have the BBK LTs which are around 3" off the ground now and the roads around here aren't good, not to mention that I have to deal with some steep drives and speed bumps regularly (already scrapped once, gotta be careful). The drop could be better, I agree, but it's enough to satisfy me.

On the rims, I'd been mulling over wheels for months, contemplating this and that, and was set on going with silver wheels, not chrome, but ended up deciding that I liked the 10th Annis based on what was out there in the size I wanted; the 17x9/17x10 combo only comes in chrome, gun metal, or black (didn't want dark rims), so I figured I'd give chrome a chance. Like I said, I'm immediately having second thoughts, which sucks, so we'll see how long these rims make it; perhaps they'll grow on me, or I'll be taking a nasty hit by switching rims again.

I had an alignment done immediately, the car had a definite front end vibration before but that's gone now. The vibration I have is almost definitely coming from the rear, I feel it in the seat vs. the steering wheel; starting to wonder if maybe I've got a bent axle or the driveshaft is out of balance. I've had a few people ride in or drive the car and feel it, including 2 mechanics, but no one's sure, they all said to just try getting the tires balanced and that's been done multiple times. The vibration was the same with the stock wheels as it is now with the Cobras, I just feel it more now that the stiffer springs are on.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:17 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

I love the car color. It looks dark in those pics. Looks great

Wheels look good. I need to get used to them. Haven't seen chrome 10th anni's on a car yet. I am still trying to get accustomed too the 10th anni look...

I would remove that MGW on the driver's side door.. Give it a cleaner look...But i am sure you put it there.

Tint the windows and get some chrome inserts for the rear...
Old 03-15-2010, 06:36 AM
nagata
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
I love the car color. It looks dark in those pics. Looks great

Wheels look good. I need to get used to them. Haven't seen chrome 10th anni's on a car yet. I am still trying to get accustomed too the 10th anni look...

I would remove that MGW on the driver's side door.. Give it a cleaner look...But i am sure you put it there.

Tint the windows and get some chrome inserts for the rear...
Thanks, I love this color of blue also! Yeah, the chrome is certainly an intense look.

Hahaha, the MGW sticker...The previous owner put it on, and removing it is on my To-Do list, I'm just afraid of f'ing up the paint. Window tint is also on the list, and I already got a set of black bumper inserts, just waiting for better weather.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:19 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

I just think i dont like how the front wheels dont have any dish at all. But i definitely think that anthracite/gun metal would have looked better but since you bought them, just keep them. And chances are that your new isos gave you more ride height than what you wanted. The springs probably would have given you what you wanted, but the iso's just messed it up because they add ride height back in. The added vibration might be from your new lower control arms and might be a bent/warped axle. Do you have your wishbone on your rear differential or is that removed??? The lower control arms you bought will add some NVH to your ride.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:49 AM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

I have the same springs as you OP, remove the isolators and the ride height will look wayyyyyy better. Very clean car! Looks well maintained

Quick Reply: New pics! Lowered my 96 GT w/ new shoes and a number of mods!