4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Have a couple questions....

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
Duppler01mustang

Default Have a couple questions....

Ok, i will do a better job at explaining myself this time i promise. I have 2 things that are worrying me about my car right now. One, there is a tiny squeaking noise right now and whenever i lay my foot on the clutch it goes away, i do not have to put it in all the way just lay my foot on it. Any ideas? Also, whenever I try to turn on my a/c or defroster my car starts to idle like crazy and sometimes even die. Not the heat either, just those two. Any other ideas? maybe a tune up? A mechanic said the idle air control motor, but he doesn't have a very good reputation so I cant take any risks.
I also want to add more horsepower, I was thinking an x-pipe with long tube headers will do solid, any ideas on best brand for the price? I am a little strapped for cash, but I dont want to cheap out and get **** thatll brake or go out. Thanks a lot guys.

(Real quick too, I have 4:10's in my car now, are those the best for maximum power, or should I go down a grade? Sorry, but my friends call me carretarded, I am new and trying to learn so try not to be too harsh)
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

4.10's are awesome. Keep them. Squeaking might just be a throw out bearing or something. I'd replace that soon if it is that and just get a whole new clutch and put in there while youre at it. And cars tend to idle kinda weird with the a/c on anyways. my car's idle fluctuates when the a/c compressor kicks on and drops to below 500 sometimes but never died on me before...knock on wood. I honestly wouldnt know what to tell you what to do about the a/c dying other than maybe raise the idle rpm up or something if you can somehow.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Duppler01mustang

I love my clutch, and that can get expensive, which i dont want to do right now, but from what you have heard, how much would a throw out bearing go for? including labor at the average mechanic...
Old 03-14-2010, 11:42 PM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

refer to my prior statement in your other thread.....

Originally Posted by a_penquin
Squeak is your throw out bearing, might as well replace the clutch while your in that deep.

Defroster should have no affect on engine idle, if it is you have massive electrical problems. With the A/C on, is it blowing warm, or barely blowing at all? If so, its two signs there's issues in the A/C system that needs to be corrected before being used. What it is, is the compressor continually cycling on and off causing heavy load on the engine disrupting the idle and drivability.

Headers are a pain in the *** to install, perferibly have a shop do it if you dont have an engine lift or feel like dropping the cross-member. As far as cats go its your choice (and local emissions testing laws). Understand majority of shops out there will not remove cats or install cat-less mid pipes. While your doing that invest in a cat back system, might as well do it all instead of just 2/3 of the exhaust. Remember that if you go cat-less you will need either eliminators, or a tune to turn off the rear O2 sensors. A tune regardless is a nice addition.
Originally Posted by Duppler01mustang
I love my clutch, and that can get expensive, which i dont want to do right now, but from what you have heard, how much would a throw out bearing go for? including labor at the average mechanic...
The work involved to do a throw out bearing is the same as doing a clutch as they are normally replaced at the same time.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:03 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

which is why i suggested doing the clutch at the same time so youre not doing the same thing twice labor wise.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 AM
a_penquin
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
which is why i suggested doing the clutch at the same time so youre not doing the same thing twice labor wise.
read my quote from the first thread, its in the first sentence.