4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Time for a tune-up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:45 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

If it were that i didnt think that it would cause it to like actually miss. could you explain that to me a bit GTRACER??? Im kinda confused.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

teej you can just use electrical spray clean. THe main thing is you dont wanna use a spray that leaves a residue. Also clean your air filter change your fuel filter and the other things you mentioned and than as someone said check back with us if nothing works.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
fidelcastrol
2nd Gear Member

I think it's humidity at the coils, used to wreak havoc on the MKIV Jettas.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:35 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
If it were that i didnt think that it would cause it to like actually miss. could you explain that to me a bit GTRACER??? Im kinda confused.
You should be confused because even I am confused on what I wrote. My response was given to you while sitting at a traffic light trying to rush and type my train of thought before the light changed to green. Ok to correct my post and type what I really was trying too say
Belt slippage will not cause you misfire, but is the cause of the power steering and power breaks to fail. The point that I was teeing too get across was that if my engine bay gets wet, my belt will begin too slip. This is the first sigh too me thatthis is almost a key indicator that if there is enough water to cause my belt too slip then there is enough water to cause my COPS too get wet. There is where you will find the cause of your misfire. For my car even light rain can cause water to get in my cops. sorry for the late response, this is my last spring break before my last spring break.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

I have a CAI but i didnt think that that would make much difference whenever im not running through puddles(which i dont do EVER...learned that the hard way).
What happened if you don't mind me asking? haha
Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

One time i was following a cop through downtown hanover and cops in my town are ******. So long story short i tried to drive normally in the center of my lane but on the right side, there was a huge puddle...drove through it at like 25mph and it sucked up a little bit of water. It ran so i didnt think anything of it, but once i got to the next redlight it stalled out and i thought i was going to have to get a tow or something in the middle of a monsoon rainstorm. So I kinda wanna get rid of this intake.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

Yep mine did that too when i got my cams put in. I cleaned the MAF and the air filter and it ran better. I think just do the stuff you have on your list.

Im lookin at a new fuel filter this spring.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:22 PM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

OK, i know this has been asked a ton here lately, but I think that my situation is somewhat unique. So i'll start with the story. Its been raining out a lot lately here in south central PA and i've found myself driving a lot of highway and on and off ramps. Now around here people drive like dicks so you better be at their speed or higher if they are going to let you in(none of that pulling into the passing lane to let you sneak in if you arent up to speed yet). So i'll put it in 4th and give her a pedal-full and let the 4.10's do the work...but every once and a while she'll start missing. But the odd thing about it is it only happens when its raining or the roads are wet. I have a CAI but i didnt think that that would make much difference whenever im not running through puddles(which i dont do EVER...learned that the hard way). So what do you think is wrong??? Im running NGK TR6's(which are a colder plug than i should be using), havent cleaned my air filter in two and a half years(since i put it on the car), and my maf hasnt ever been cleaned. Things i was going to do to see if i can fix it...

1. Clean maf
2. Clean air filter with K&N kit
3. New NGK stock heat range plugs
4. Maybe new fuel filter

And if all else fails, I'm changing my tb/plenum soon anyways and I might just bite the bullet and buy a new RAI...even though i know there wont be any gains from it. I just like the look under the hood.

Any suggestions on what to do to see if i can get this missing to stop happening???
Coils, coils, coils, coils, coils, coils.

Seriously, that exact ****ing problem had been around with my car for like 5 months. It slowly got worse and worse. When I finally changed out the coils, the change was huge at low rpm driving. I just hadn't realized it because it had been over a long period of time.