4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Got a couple new things :D And have a question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default Got a couple new things :D And have a question

Just dropped my car off to get some work done...

3.73's getting installed and so are my mach 1 brakes

I'll let you guys know how it all feels when i get it back. I know i shouldn't expect much from the mach 1 brakes, but for $75, i wanted the larger rotors for when i get the 13" fronts.

The gears better be night and day difference though or else i will be a little upset.

Here are a bunch of pics of what i am working with... And ever since i put on my new tires (went from 255/40/17 to 245/45/17) my car is high as fvck... I cant tell yas how i like the nitto555's on front, but so far, my other tires were better (and they were cheap dunlops). It's probably because i have to break them in still? And its almost as though i can feel the extra cushion the added sidewall gave.. i dont like it I'll tell better about how i like them after the tires are broken in.

This wheel gap needs to go..

CAN ANYBODY TELL ME WHY I AM SMELLING GAS WHEN I START MY CAR OR AFTER I TURN IT OFF OR DRIVE IT FOR A WHILE?! IT IS COMING FROM THE REAR PASSENGER SIDE... HERE IS A PIC OF WHERE I THINK IT IS COMING FROM. I FEEL WET GASOLINE THAT IS COMING FROM THAT HOSE, BUT IT DOESNT DRIP...IT'S JUST A LITTLE WET AROUND THAT CONNECTION. (yes i like caps )

And here is a pic of my 4x4 even though she is dropped... I think i dislike the cobra front bc of how it looks high up front.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

you will love the gears. the gas is most likely the rubber grommet around the filler hose were it goes into the take. they normally crack and gas starts to come out when you fill the tank
Old 03-23-2010, 10:41 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
you will love the gears. the gas is most likely the rubber grommet around the filler hose were it goes into the take. they normally crack and gas starts to come out when you fill the tank
That makes sense... Is the rubber gromet something that i can install myself? Knowing me ill do it the cheap way and putty it up or something haha
Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Not to knock your car cuz it is sexy but I've just never been a big fan of that cobra bumper. You're gonna love those gears though. I was in a GT with out gears and when I got back into my B it was a night n day difference.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

cobra bumper looks sick man...

car looks sick...

are you expecting any real break performance increase with those brakes? That is something I need to do next for sure...
Old 03-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Just curious as to why you didn't get Cobra brakes.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Donnie's GTS
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
Just curious as to why you didn't get Cobra brakes.
cobras/mach1s/bullitts all have the same brakes up front, this just looks like rotors to me.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

The pinion gear is so big compared to the one with my 4.30s. But you will notice a difference with them, don't worry. And you also do not need the friction modifier with red line gear oil. It already has it mixed in with it. I didn't use it and I have no chattering coming from my diff around tight corners.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I like the cobra bumper but your chin spoiler has seen better days man... why so wavy?
Old 03-24-2010, 04:13 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Lots of questions to answer here lol

For the brakes, the mach 1/bullitts/cobras all use the same brakes as stated above... I purchased the mach 1 rear brakes bc i got them for $75 for ALL of that. the calipers with pads, moan braces, dust shields, rotors and mounting brackets... It just allows me to upgrade from that small 10.5" rear rotor to a larger 11.65" rotor. The added size of the rotor will look great in the rear wheel... I heard that i wont really see much improvement over the braking, but it appears that the upgraded set up in the rear has a little bit more sweeping space which in turn creates better stopping power. I got these bc not only were they extremely cheap like i said, but they wont look out of place when i upgrade to the 13" fronts in the next couple of months when tax return comes.. oh, and they are mach 1 rear calipers bc of the extra bar that goes across the outside of the caliper... compare and contrast with a stock GT/v6 and you will see what i mean. On the 10.5" rotors, the calipers do not have the bar going across the caliper that sits on the outside of the brake pad... its hard to explain. there is a picture of it somewhere online showing the difference.

As for the chin spoiler, idk why it looks wavy. it really doesnt look like that in real life, or at least its not really THAT noticeable. when the car was sitting lower with the other wheels or if it is parked differently, the chin spoiler looks flatter. the chin isnt meant for that bumper anyway.. i just like the contrast.

Glad to hear the gear responses. i am hoping that she will RIPPPPP now haha. she does rip, but a little more is always good

and the stock brakes suck so i am going cobra/mach1/bullitt. i will have mach1 in the rear and bullitts up front. but they are all the same thing. i believe the 10th anni cobra has different piston pressure or placement compared to the other brakes, but its not noticeable to feel a difference. thats just from hearsay so i have no proof of that

EDIT: Fizzics Boy -- i did hear that you dont need FM with synthetic oils, but for $3.50, i got it bc i wasnt sure. I dont want to hear ANYTHING in that driveline so i got it for added insurance i guess. thanks for confirming what i thought tho. i should have asked about the FM before i bought it.

Quick Reply: Got a couple new things :D And have a question