4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

I'd like your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Default I'd like your opinion

So, I like my wheels and whatnot. But I've always liked the FR's much better. My car is white and the wheels are black w/ a brushed lip. I really like the 10.5's in the back. Looks really good from behind. But my question is, do you think I should keep my wheels or do you think it would look better with chrome dished FR's?

Sometimes white cars look good with black wheels. Sometimes white cars look good with chrome wheels. Here are some examples.

Or even these...

Or these...these are pretty f'in sick.

Also, should I stay 17's or should I raise 'em to 18?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
GTRACER88
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
So, I like my wheels and whatnot. But I've always liked the FR's much better. My car is white and the wheels are black w/ a brushed lip. I really like the 10.5's in the back. Looks really good from behind. But my question is, do you think I should keep my wheels or do you think it would look better with chrome dished FR's?

Sometimes white cars look good with black wheels. Sometimes white cars look good with chrome wheels. Here are some examples.

Or even these...

Or these...these are pretty f'in sick.

Also, should I stay 17's or should I raise 'em to 18?
18's.. get the last one.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i opted for 17's staggered blk w/ brushed lip in FR500's for my silver 04. for tire prices of 17's vs 18's and FR's are not original but they are so more than bullets on these cars IMO. think about what you demand from your tires as well. i use mine for semi spirited driving rarely corner carving so i dont need Nitto's etc. my setup was $1024 mounted, balanced and shipped from AM. in 18's....the price would have kept climbing due to tire selection. BUT i think 18's look perfect on a lowered car, if your wallet allows lol.

i read around that the black chrome is really tough to maintain and not get scratches on and the smallest rubs cause noticeable scratches...something to look into/consider.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I've never seen blk chrm on a pony before. I think it would be VERY cool. I agree 100% with the tire pricing and whatnot. My 315's arent cheap as it is.

I don't drive the car every day. And I take very good care of it's parts. But I wouldn't like scratches on the wheels. Are they not coated? My wheels currently, on the brushed lip, the coating is beginning to flake in some spots. I don't like that.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i dont know about the coating, but my guess is that just like chrome is scratch-able....the dark color of the black chrome shows up easier.

white is a hard color to match wheels to. chrome IMO would be too light...and FR500's in chrome are too busy for a chrome wheel. simple 5 spoke chrome would be better.

i was between black/chrome lip and anthricite/chrome lip and went with black because i like the better color contrast. silver car with silver/grey wheel and a chrome lip all match too closely for my taste. so the black sets everything off. plus im keeping my scheme simple and clean. i only have black/red (tail lights)/amber(blinkers) and silver (body) as colors. my calipers are body matching.

with any rim you choose i would stay with black or black and chrome lip on a white car or maybe a chrome 5 spoke wheel (saleens)
Old 03-26-2010, 12:58 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
i read around that the black chrome is really tough to maintain and not get scratches on and the smallest rubs cause noticeable scratches...something to look into/consider.
I can co-sign to that.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM
SeanAndKate
3rd Gear Member

My car is white well both of them are. I got black rims on the 04 and i got to say I love black on the white.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

I do like the white car with blk wheels. Hrm...I suppose I'll save the thousand doll hairs. When I get the windows tinted...it will really set the color scheme off. Dunno if I'm going to tint the tail lights. And the calipers are grey.

Thoughts on the tinted tails?

This is just for fun but this is my favorite car. Pro50sc. He's a member here. Now he's got the windows tinted and has a set of draglites on it. But I like the chrome wheels with the clear windows. But black wheels with tinted windows look really good.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:40 PM
bopiela
4th Gear Member

go black chrome 18's!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:24 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Moonshine
I've never seen blk chrm on a pony before. I think it would be VERY cool. I agree 100% with the tire pricing and whatnot. My 315's arent cheap as it is.

I don't drive the car every day. And I take very good care of it's parts. But I wouldn't like scratches on the wheels. Are they not coated? My wheels currently, on the brushed lip, the coating is beginning to flake in some spots. I don't like that.
And now you have

They are coated, but its the chroming processes they go throw that makes them not as durable as regular chrome.

Quick Reply: I'd like your opinion