4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

DD drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
everyone doing this just replaces there tires like every 1-2 years lol
Thats the reason why I wont DD on DR's again. It was to costly for me.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

ive been DDing mt dragradials for about a full year now... spring, summer, fall, winter... rain, snow, sleet, sun.... and yes when its ****ty out, u have to be smart... but ive never looked outside and said, o its raining(or snowing) i wont drive today... just be careful and smart about it...
Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

I'm on the 2nd set of Nitto 555R's. I have a pair of prostars with ET Streets for the track. The only reason why I decided on 555R's was because I'm happy with how the perform on the street and it's just fine in the rain. Plus I can get a pair of them for $310 mounted....so why not?

I also like how if I wanna go to the track for some fun at any unexpected time....it can hold it's own. Like for instance I might be driving instead of flying to Vegas soon and I may or may not hit up the strip. Since I have DR's, it will make it worth my while as I definitely don't plan on lugging my prostars there.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by DarkShadow04
i wish they did lol...i think i could probably handle the weather in the DRs, i just wish they didnt wear down so dam fast..they are expensive lol...im gonna have to look into the nitto nt05/05r's..are they considered a drag radial or a street tire? i have the most fun rollin through the water and lettin my linelock do what it does best at the track lol, thats y im trying to stay with a DR if possible, but its not out of the question to either sell them or use em until they burn out and just go with DR's on different rims for the track and a street tire to DD, but i know people DD with DRs, just curious if i am left out of some secret or something or if everyone doing this just replaces there tires like every 1-2 years lol
NT05's are street tires more aimed at spirited cornering, but hold their own in a straight line. Some guy is running them on SVTP on his cobra and is cutting 1.59 60' times and it has a 200 treadwear rating. mustangman281(Ox as he was referred to as) was running them when they first came out and he said they hooked better than the original nitto drag radials did for him at 665rwhp. Cobra guys are getting very good results from these.

NT05R's are drag radials...and boy are they on the edge of being a slick at how they perform, but they look like they would be not terrible in the rain as well for having the same kinda design as the NT05's with the large circumferential grooves in them. People are getting slick like results from these tires at the track.

Another tire to look at is the Toyo TQ drag radial. Its a pretty stout tire that might be worthy of looking into for you. Guys on SVTP like them from what ive seen and they arent terribly expensive either.

My BFG DR's(funky designed ones) worked well for me. Held me in 1st gear in the freezing december cold we had this year in south central PA. Just another option to share.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i definately dont mind my MT DRs on the street, and i drove with them on the wet roads today and didnt have a problem being careful with em, i guess im more concerned at this point about treadwear, they are expensive and wear really fast...i dont this id consider the nitto555r's for the fact that from what i read they are just a hair over a street tire, do the NT05r's wear better than a MT by chance? i think i saw the NT05r's in a magazine and remember the tread pattern looking alright... i have the MT DR II which has a decent tread pattern on them, they just wear down too dam fast, lol.. maybe the BFG's would be a better in between DR? those are the ones that are completely slick in the middle though right? prolly not too great for the rain..
Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dimebag
ive been DDing mt dragradials for about a full year now... spring, summer, fall, winter... rain, snow, sleet, sun....
dimebag, how is your tread looking? think you'll get a second year out of them or are they basically cooked at this point? how many miles per year do you drive about?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:59 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Tread is fine, its just now past the wear marks, but not done by any means. I prolly have a honest 25k on them I wnt get a full 2nd year out of them no, but it'll go a few more months easily
Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

NT05R's will wear about the same as the MT's because they are both a 00 treadwear rating tire and the NT05R's seem to stick as good or better than the MT's do from what ive been seeing on terminators. BFG's dont last at all either. If youre looking for wear, get the NT05's, seeing that cobra owners are getting 1.59 60' times with them and they wear pretty reasonably and can get about 12k out of them if youre nice to them.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I've had drag radial on my dd during the spring and summer month for nearly 5 years now. I've had both nitto 555r's and bfg drag radials. To be honest, I think it's enough of a street tire to get you to hook. I didn't ever really have much of a problem hooking up on the street, even when I was spraying. The nitto's last a long time compared to any other drag radial. I get 10k plus on a set. And seeing as though they are about 300 for the pair, I purchase them every season. Way I see it, I'm gonna burn up a set of expensive non-radial tires, I might as well save some money on cheap drag radials and get a tire that hooks.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM
1999 GT
3rd Gear Member

my mt dr's are aweful in the rain....

Quick Reply: DD drag radials