4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

For those using their Stangs as commuter cars...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Default For those using their Stangs as commuter cars...

Hey guys,

So I started a new job a month ago about 70 miles away from my house....and yeah I'm saving for a beater car right now, but I just noticed a bunch of rock chips in my hood and its infuriating me thinking about it. What are your opinions on a black leather bra (temporary of course) to protect the paint for a few months while commuting?

I know many of you are going to be frowning upon it, but I need to minimize these paint chips!

Opinions please!
Old 04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

Your car looks good I'd consider doing that too.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:17 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

The only thing about someone having a bra on, is when they do it for looks. Some brands look alright, but are ugly any way you look at it.

I'm in the same position as you, my hood has rock chips all of the front part and my bumper is starting to look the same.

I would get the bra for sure if you want to save whats left of a nice hood.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I would do it while you use this car to commute and then when you get a DD you can take the bra off and either sell it or keep it just in-case of anything.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM
sonicx
speed'n

From one sonic to the next... i'd do that protect our color man ahaha. I put on like 40-50per day myself and im too poor to afford a 2nd car. I wish i thought of doing this before but sadly its too late when i thought of this and my hood is chipped and soo forth. Im just planning on blasting it and repainting when it gets back enough now.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 PM
johnmvtv
2nd Gear Member

Same problem here,I have been driving on the highway lately and noticed chips too.ialso noticed that im getting lil chips on my windshield and headlights too.I thought about a bra too,but i wasnt sure if it would rub the paint.I think im gonna put my headlight covers back on too
Old 04-02-2010, 12:52 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by johnmvtv
Same problem here,I have been driving on the highway lately and noticed chips too.ialso noticed that im getting lil chips on my windshield and headlights too.I thought about a bra too,but i wasnt sure if it would rub the paint.I think im gonna put my headlight covers back on too
nay... it shouldn't effect the paint if you don't leave it on for long periods of time or have it on your car on hot summer days. But you gotta decided what the worse of too evils you know? Take a few rock chips or have the chance of possible swirling around the paint with a bra on. And you can't worry about the windshield that stuff is just going happen. Though doesn't it just pissed ya off when something like a pebble hits your car and you hear that ping and your like, ..... hope that didn't do much. ahaha

Last edited by sonicx; 04-02-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

from my experience with bras. hahah anyways, they seem to take paint OFF... if you leave them on for long periods of time... that material when constantly rubbed against the paint, will take it off, but only if you leave it on there for a while. And I, personally, find them... ugly... but thats just me and only my opinion. I've had bras take paint off, maybe it was just that type or whatever, but ill never slap one on my car...
Old 04-02-2010, 01:03 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys for all of your help, I think I'm just going to suck it up and get it touched up every now and then. Sonic Blue, love the color, but when the paint gets f'd up it looks like sh*t!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:06 PM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

agreed. That color is VERY sexy. I'd hate to see such a beautiful car with a bra on it... It just looks trashy to me. But once again, just my opinion, no insults to anyone to has a bra... lol

Quick Reply: For those using their Stangs as commuter cars...