4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

best thing ive done so far to the car

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:09 PM
yellow40th
1st Gear Member

Default best thing ive done so far to the car

im going to the drag strip on wednesday and wanted to change the tranny fluid (manual tranny)

car has 52,000 on it and im not sure if its ever been done, it didnt look super dirty coming out but DAMN it shifts SOOO much smoother now, feels like a new car, no more notchy shifts and it seems to take throttle alot nicer now

if anyone hasnt done this in a while i recommend it now lol
Old 04-03-2010, 05:27 PM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

Just did mine about a month ago.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:58 PM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

I think i need to do that for mine. Everytime i'm cruising about 45 miles and hour and it shifts down to 1100 rpm it just clunks!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:26 PM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

How is it done? Is it difficult? I've seen the drain plug but that's it. How much is the total cost and for what? My shifting is horrible right now.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:37 PM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
How is it done? Is it difficult? I've seen the drain plug but that's it. How much is the total cost and for what? My shifting is horrible right now.
Alright man, get a pan, unscrew drain plug, the thing empties... you'll have to buy a pump from autozone or advanced auto or wherever you go for basic auto needs. basically, one end goes into the bottle of fluid sucks it up through a straw, and pumps it into the tranny for you. Its like 10 bucks or something. you'll see another plug towards the top of the transmission, put the DRAIN plug back in. and unscrew the fill plug, hook up your pump, and fill her up till it is just below the fill plug, or it comes out. whichever you notice first... screw the fill plug back and ya done... sorry i didnt go into much detail... any questions feel free to ask...
Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by CitadelBulldogs
Alright man, get a pan, unscrew drain plug, the thing empties... you'll have to buy a pump from autozone or advanced auto or wherever you go for basic auto needs. basically, one end goes into the bottle of fluid sucks it up through a straw, and pumps it into the tranny for you. Its like 10 bucks or something. you'll see another plug towards the top of the transmission, put the DRAIN plug back in. and unscrew the fill plug, hook up your pump, and fill her up till it is just below the fill plug, or it comes out. whichever you notice first... screw the fill plug back and ya done... sorry i didnt go into much detail... any questions feel free to ask...

One suggestion, remove the filler plug first.

I have helped out numerous people over the years who have drained their transmission/rear-end/radiator/whatever, and then found out that they could not remove the filler plug--because they did not have the needed tools, it was too tight for the tools they had, or whatever...

It's far better to find out that you can't get the filler plug out before you drain the fluid than after...
Old 04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
One suggestion, remove the filler plug first.

I have helped out numerous people over the years who have drained their transmission/rear-end/radiator/whatever, and then found out that they could not remove the filler plug--because they did not have the needed tools, it was too tight for the tools they had, or whatever...

It's far better to find out that you can't get the filler plug out before you drain the fluid than after...
ah yes... very good suggestion!
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Someone is bound to ask "What's the best fluid to use?" now. Here's a response I recently made to a member's PM asking just that...

To be perfectly honest is doesn't make a bit of difference--any brand name ATF fluid that meets the Mercon (now Mercon V) specifications will be fine. In our transmissions, both the T-45 and T-3650, the fluid runs at lower temperatures and much lower loads than in an automatic tranny; so it is not near as highly stressed as compared to the service for which it was designed.

I run RP Synchromax, but only because I have a friend that owned a speed shop in Daytona, that sold it to me at near cost--unfortunately the recession caught up with his business--that and selling stuff to his friends at cost.

So next time, which is coming up, I will likely use Mobil 1 Dextron/Mercon ATF. It's $7.49 a quart from Autozone and is on Tremec's recommended lube list.
Update: I did in fact change my tranny juice on Friday, and used Mobil 1 ATF. I had used RP Synchromax (changed twice over the last 65k miles) because I could get it for less than $8 a quart.

I find NO--zero, zilch, nada difference in the way the transmission shifts, or any other performance measure--once discounting placebo effect, and that new fluid makes anything run smoother--as compared to the RP Synchromax. If there is any change it is that the mainshaft rumble/whir in neutral/clutch out is quieter than with the RP. But that could be my imagination too...
Old 04-03-2010, 09:03 PM
CitadelBulldogs
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Someone is bound to ask "What's the best fluid to use?" now. Here's a response I recently made to a member's PM asking just that...

Update: I did in fact change my tranny juice on Friday, and used Mobil 1 ATF. I had used RP Synchromax (changed twice over the last 65k miles) because I could get it for less than $8 a quart.

I find NO--zero, zilch, nada difference in the way the transmission shifts, or any other performance measure--once discounting placebo effect, and that new fluid makes anything run smoother--as compared to the RP Synchromax. If there is any change it is that the mainshaft rumble/whir in neutral/clutch out is quieter than with the RP. But that could be my imagination too...
agreed. but LOW fluid compared to the correct fluid level there would be a difference. maybe not like "HOLY ****" but you'd be like "yeah, thats smoother"
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by CitadelBulldogs
agreed. but LOW fluid compared to the correct fluid level there would be a difference. maybe not like "HOLY ****" but you'd be like "yeah, thats smoother"
I don't understand your comment, there was no reference to the fill quantity in my post?

You of course need to refill with the correct amount of fluid, which for the 3650 is 3.0L (3.2qts) per TSB 04-15-6...

Quick Reply: best thing ive done so far to the car