4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Cheapest way to Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Prokek

Post Cheapest way to Supercharger?

Hi,

I bought a 2001 Cobra motor and decided I want to get a blower. I've been looking into my options and it comes down to three choices(I think).

First option - I can get a kennebell non-intercooled kit that includes everything needed to add their 5 psi blower. Cost is $4800.

Second option - I can get a vortech/procharger super charger kit for around $4500.

Third option - 03/04 eaton conversion. I've been looking on ebay for the parts and its really hard to tell a good price range for everything that would be needed. Also I'm not completely sure of everything that would be needed. So if anyone has experience on this conversion that would be very helpful. Although from the looks of it this looks like it could be the cheapest.

Fourth option - ?

Keep in mind I'm going for the cheapest approach since I have to buy forged rods, pistons, and rebuild the engine.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...-its-done.html
Old 04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Turbonator!!!!!!

jk.... 1500 dollar supercharger kit is the way to go.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Prokek
Hi,

I bought a 2001 Cobra motor and decided I want to get a blower. I've been looking into my options and it comes down to three choices(I think).

First option - I can get a kennebell non-intercooled kit that includes everything needed to add their 5 psi blower. Cost is $4800.

Second option - I can get a vortech/procharger super charger kit for around $4500.

Third option - 03/04 eaton conversion. I've been looking on ebay for the parts and its really hard to tell a good price range for everything that would be needed. Also I'm not completely sure of everything that would be needed. So if anyone has experience on this conversion that would be very helpful. Although from the looks of it this looks like it could be the cheapest.

Fourth option - ?

Keep in mind I'm going for the cheapest approach since I have to buy forged rods, pistons, and rebuild the engine.
cheapest and easiest approach would be the 1500$ thread.

i don't know total cost for the cobra eaton conversion but if i you look in the mach1 section (im sure its nearly the same) people were doing it for under 3 grand and thats with upgraded heat exchangers and such. if your forged and arent looking for tremendous amounts of power the eaton wouldnt be a bad swap and half the price of the non intercooled kenne bell. will take you a while to hunt down parts (since its wiser to find used parts and save cash).
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Prokek

There are plenty of used eaton parts on ebay. The hard part for me is finding out exactly what I'd need to make it all work. That $1500 S.C looks good but I'm having trouble finding a used vortech on ebay. Is there some specific search words I should be using? I've been searching with "mustang vortech" and other stuff like that. All i find are complete kits...

Thanks for the help btw.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:20 PM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

there arent a ton of head units running around anymore. other forums have gotten wind of the 1500$ build and everyone's out looking to do it. you just have to keep your eyes open and wait for one to come up. check this forum, moddedmustangs, modularfords (ton of parts over there), ebay, and just keep your eyes peeled.

mustang vortech, vortech head unit, 4.6 vortech, etc... are all searches you can try but there isnt always going to be a plain head unit for sale. keep in mind like the sticky says make sure its counter clockwise rotation (CCW) and strait discharge. you will see a ton of head units for fox bodys they have a curved discharge.

and the mod list needed to do eaton swap on a mach 1 is in the mach1 section. you'll see several threads about eaton swaps on the first 2 pages and theres a list in there. i can't imagine it would be MUCH different than the cobra, but i'm sure a couple things here and there maybe different. might try the cobra/svt forums and see if someone can get you a complete part list if thats a route your interested in.