4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Let's talk about springs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Thanks teej. I may pick up some stock GT springs for a couple bucks and try them out with the Tokico HP shocks/struts.. Once school is out, i can easily afford Bilsteins for $100... Buying used sounds kinda iffy though no?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Sure:

Sorry the pictures are a little pixelated. Photobucket re-sizing FTL
Old 04-07-2010, 07:58 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Honestly, your car sits lower than mine does i think... I just removed the isos with 98 redstang and it evened it out a little, but it just isnt low enough... If you can get away with the same drop as me or maybe a little bit lower than i am and you have stock shocks/struts, i think i can get away with going lower than you with the HP shocks/struts... I think i am going to give this cut spring thing a shot.

98redstang, you ready for round 2?

This is what the car looks like without the isos removed. we removed them the next day. But it still sits high even with the isos removed. It's ideal for daily driving on semi-crappy roads. But i want to look good going down the street

As you can see, it still looks like a 4x4 IMO

So how about cutting stock GT springs? What is the stock spring rate and how much will spring rate be reduced per coil that is cut? Does anyone know?

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 04-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

What spring are you running hpwrestler? ^
Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Tokico. They come with the Tokico HP package... Shocks/struts/red springs that supposedly drop it 1.25 all around

I have decided that i am going to pick up stock springs and cut them since they are linear rate.. For those of you that say it is bad to do, please explain yourself. Because so far, i have read a bunch of threads and it is something that many people do to get the drop they want and not effect ride quality. I just hope my shocks/struts can handle it.

I will probably cut them so that my fronts JUST tuck inside the fender and the rears are close to no wheel gap.. Then of course i will roll the rear fenders... And an alignment will be in need after this, which is no problem. I'm so happy that i found a cheap/reliable way of slamming my stang without adversely effecting ride quality.

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 04-07-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Ride quality will change actually. The lower you go in the damper's range of motion, the rougher the ride is going to be. And honestly, handling might suffer from using stock GT springs. I got some i'll send your way if you want them. I might be getting stock termie front springs too. C/C plates are going to be needed for the drop that you want. Also, you might also want to consider H&R supersports and no isos. Budders car is slammed like you want and will handle pretty great for stock location springs. Food for thought.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:40 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Ride quality will change actually. The lower you go in the damper's range of motion, the rougher the ride is going to be. And honestly, handling might suffer from using stock GT springs. I got some i'll send your way if you want them. I might be getting stock termie front springs too. C/C plates are going to be needed for the drop that you want. Also, you might also want to consider H&R supersports and no isos. Budders car is slammed like you want and will handle pretty great for stock location springs. Food for thought.
I have someone on the local forum that i will just grab for cheap. It would be cheaper than the gas to get to and from your place. Thanks for the offer though!

From what i have read/heard, cutting the stock springs will greatly improve handling and style. When you cut the linear springs, you can cut off a coil and then some and you will increase your spring rate... So that would lead to stiffer springs and essentially a better handling car. The only reason to go cobra springs up front is for the added spring rate. So yes they will handle better than the GT springs, but you will have a rougher ride depending on your shocks/struts..

I think this whole cutting springs thing sounds like a good idea. Of course this is until i put them on and hate the way it rides or something haha. But who knows, maybe i will like it and maybe my mustang will still handle great...

If the tokico's are lets say a 550# spring rate and the stocks are a 450# If i cut some of the stockers, spring rate should in theory increase to give me the same handling characteristics. Or about the same. No? I don't see why not. If you have a linear spring with a rate of 550 and a progressive spring with a rate of 550, it's going to handle the same no?!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Progressive rate will ride better just because the spring goes from the low pressure to the high pressure when compressed to a certain extent, which is why most lowering springs are progressive. If they werent progressive, at a linear rate of 700+lb spring pressure, that would make for a very rough ride. So they will handle the same, but they will ride very different. And honestly you arent increasing your spring rate by cutting the stock springs, you are just not having as many coils on the spring as you once did, obviously. lol i dont see how you can alter the spring rates of a spring. So if the stock spring rate is 450lb, thats all youre ever going to see out of them. The car will have the "illusion" i'll call it of handling better probably just because the struts will be lower in the operating range and will seem more stiff and seem to handle better, but this will wear out the struts. You will need something stronger than the HP's to handle that kinda lowering with that spring rate. Overall, i see some new front struts in the future for you, but i may be wrong.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:22 AM
gif4445
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hpwrestler220
Can you do me a favor and post up a nice side view shot and side view from the front shot of your car?
Sounds like something you say to your g/f when you're twitterpated
Old 04-08-2010, 01:32 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Progressive rate will ride better just because the spring goes from the low pressure to the high pressure when compressed to a certain extent, which is why most lowering springs are progressive. If they werent progressive, at a linear rate of 700+lb spring pressure, that would make for a very rough ride. So they will handle the same, but they will ride very different. And honestly you arent increasing your spring rate by cutting the stock springs, you are just not having as many coils on the spring as you once did, obviously. lol i dont see how you can alter the spring rates of a spring. So if the stock spring rate is 450lb, thats all youre ever going to see out of them. The car will have the "illusion" i'll call it of handling better probably just because the struts will be lower in the operating range and will seem more stiff and seem to handle better, but this will wear out the struts. You will need something stronger than the HP's to handle that kinda lowering with that spring rate. Overall, i see some new front struts in the future for you, but i may be wrong.
Idk if I fully agree with all of the stuff you have said. although I see both sides of the spectrum here, I will have to find the links tomo n post them to see if maybe you think otherwise after reading.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about springs...