4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

IAC gasket reusable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default IAC gasket reusable?

Title?

don't wanna wait till tomorrow to autozone lol is the IAC gasket reusable, thinking about hitting it with some atv gasketmaker?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I think you mean RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing)...

If the gasket is in good shape, no tears or deterioration, then I'd use it--without the RTV sealant. Just make sure you wiggle things a bit when making up the fit so that the gasket ends up in more or less the same position as originally installed. I've had mine on/off 3 or 4 times with the original gasket.

If you do use RTV make sure you get a "Sensor Safe" flavour--some contain chemicals that will foul the O2 sensors--it will be clearly marked as such...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I think you mean RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing)...

If the gasket is in good shape, no tears or deterioration, then I'd use it--without the RTV sealant. Just make sure you wiggle things a bit when making up the fit so that the gasket ends up in more or less the same position as originally installed. I've had mine on/off 3 or 4 times with the original gasket.

If you do use RTV make sure you get a "Sensor Safe" flavour--some contain chemicals that will foul the O2 sensors--it will be clearly marked as such...
lololol ATV hahah yeah RTV def, i figured you would chime in as you seem to be the IAC authority, i'll probably just reccomend a new gasket as the old one is a little deteriorated, somehow, an outside piece of the gasket, about 3/4 of the length of it and just a cm or so wide came off of the gasket and jammed itself into this IAC, I sprayed it down with Carb cleaner then cleaned it out, hopefully it'll stop the idle surge and bog.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Ford says quite distinctly in the shop manual "Note: The IAC Valve Assembly is NOT ADJUSTABLE and CANNOT BE CLEANED."--that has been my experience, further reinforced after I cut one apart.

They are specifically (and well) designed so as to not stick, so cleaning is at best a temporary fix...
Old 04-19-2010, 09:54 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

there at the opening this piece was stuck in diagonally from the plunger to the wall, if this fix fails the IAC will be replaced.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

oh and if the IAC isn't working it should be fine to run the car with the IAC removed right? Just to compare how its running and to more or less confirm it is the IAC?
Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The engine would probably not run with the IAC removed--you would have an enormous unmetered air "leak"...
Old 04-19-2010, 10:15 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
The engine would probably not run with the IAC removed--you would have an enormous unmetered air "leak"...
kind of weird that it would run with a bad IAC though, i guess the air stll flows just not as rapidly? Or its trapped atleast? or something?

lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:38 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Its metered when its hooked up...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by dimebag
Its metered when its hooked up...
Yup, that's why the engine can run to some extent with a bad IAC--if the IAC were removed and the ports (in the plenum and intake tube) left open the air-fuel mix would be so lean as to likely not even ignite.

If the ports were blocked there would be insufficent air being bled past the TB to sustain idle...

Quick Reply: IAC gasket reusable?