4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Revving up the car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

then by all means...blow your motor to impress her. I bet shell love mustangs after that.....lol just givin you crap :P
Old 04-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evenexchange
I can never pull off sarcasm very well on these boards... lol

No, I'm not lol. I don't normally rev, hence the odd nature of this situation. I was just showing my girlfriend what my car sounds like... trying to convert her, she likes beamers...

Tell her with a firm voice this is America , This is a American car ! then beam her one in the back side. Guarantee to make her smile and love ya more.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr Graystang
Tell her with a firm voice this is America , This is a American car ! then beam her one in the back side. Guarantee to make her smile and love ya more.
LMAO!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 04:18 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The stock tune rev-limiter is all new-edge GTs is set to 6050 RPM. I have no explanation of why the OP's engine revved higher than that, other than perhaps overshoot in the tachometer itself or that the stock tach isn't all that accurate.

The rev-limiter on our cars shuts down the injectors:
Originally Posted by Ford Service Manual
Engine RPM/Vehicle Speed Limiter

The powertrain control module (PCM) will disable some or all of the fuel injectors whenever an engine rpm or vehicle overspeed condition is detected. The purpose of the engine rpm or vehicle speed limiter is to prevent damage to the powertrain.
Unlike in the carburetor era, fuel cut-off is a very safe way to enforce RPM limits, and much preferred to ignition system shut-down, as the PCM can just stop injecting fuel and the spark plugs fire in air.

With a carburetor shutting down the fuel delivery could potentially create a lean/very lean condition as the float bowl drained...
Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
i dunno about other 5-speed-ers but I "know" when to shift my car, weather im looking at the tac or not. I never hit the rev limit. 7k is way too high.

revving to look like a badass is so freshman year... :-p
And will result in a freshman's bank balance...

Last edited by Baddog; 04-28-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:36 AM
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member

No, I'm not lol. I don't normally rev, hence the odd nature of this situation. I was just showing my girlfriend what my car sounds like... trying to convert her, she likes beamers...
well mine likes camaros so.... :-/
Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

On my 96, it's a 6K RPM. When I was getting used to the quicker revs on my 4V, I accidentally hit it and the car sure let me know about it. An instant drop off in power.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

1.) Why on earth you would you rev your car that high?

2.) She didn't know what it sounded like? She's never been in the car with you?

3.) There is nothing at all wrong with BMWs. They are very, very good cars. I feel like she has better taste then you do. My mother use to have a BMW. My girlfriend has a BMW. They are great automobiles.

I do not mean to come off mean, but you need to be respectful to your car. Treat it properly, otherwise you're no better than those guys with body kits reving the sh*t out of their engines. You also shouldn't talk down on good cars. In my opinion and experience BMW makes great cars. They look great, the sounds pretty dang good, and they handle better than they look and sound.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The 09-04 mustangs have a rev-limiter at around 3500 RPM in nuetral. In drive they should have one just around the red mark on the tach.

If you were in Nuetral and you went past that 3500 RPM without the engine cutting out or "bouncing" off the limiter, some nut job removed it from the ECU with a hand held.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tdcalhoun89
1.) Why on earth you would you rev your car that high?

2.) She didn't know what it sounded like? She's never been in the car with you?

3.) There is nothing at all wrong with BMWs. They are very, very good cars. I feel like she has better taste then you do. My mother use to have a BMW. My girlfriend has a BMW. They are great automobiles.

I do not mean to come off mean, but you need to be respectful to your car. Treat it properly, otherwise you're no better than those guys with body kits reving the sh*t out of their engines. You also shouldn't talk down on good cars. In my opinion and experience BMW makes great cars. They look great, the sounds pretty dang good, and they handle better than they look and sound.
1. Because she asked me to.
2. Yes, but she likes the sound, so I gave her what she asked..
3. I prefer Audi over beamer any day. I have a right to that opinion. I know the Germans make a hell of a nice car, and you don't even know what my taste is so stop judging me with your assumptions of what I might like.

And yes, I know. I have a new engine in my car, and this is the first time I've honestly revved it so high in neutral. My concern for the health of my car is obviously showing by me making this thread, isn't it?

Quick Reply: Revving up the car...