4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Ready? I'm about to stump all of you guys...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Default Ready? I'm about to stump all of you guys...

Good morning everyone....

A few weeks ago I made a thread on a really high pitched clicking sound in the interior of my car.....this happens anytime that I go over a bump, and it's one of those sounds that makes you want to just steer the car off the road.

Last night I took the entire rear half of the cars interior apart. Used a magnet to go through the body panels to see if any nails or screws were hanging....NOTHING. I even put that soundproof BS stuff all over the car, then put the interior back together. The quarter panel piece that connects the lower body of the car to the roof on the exterior - even took that piece off. Still, no luck.

I've come to the conclusion that its the rear window. The sound has been happening ever since the f***stick that tinted my windows did the job. Now I understand that our beloved stangs aren't built to prevent interior rattles, but this sound will drive you nuts within 2 miles driving down the road. Blasting my music like a rapper doesn't exactly pass over well while I'm pulling into the corporate park to get to my office either.

Now, could it be possible that the rear window is out of place and that could be the clicking sound?

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Its a leprechaun.

/thread.

LMAO just kidding! Ha! Umm...I would think if it is moving enough to "click" you would have a water leak for SURE. Also, I'm not sure how even a F**kstick could displace the window by tinting it....Did you check the trunk latch??

Can you link the thread with the Original Post about this noise? Or just describe it a bit better here?

Last edited by devongarver; 04-29-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

There is no way a tinter would displace a window. Ive tinted andi can tell u ur wrong on that theory. Especially if u had it done at a legitimate shop
Old 04-29-2010, 09:00 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Ok maybe the theory is flawed. However, the sound was never there PRE-Tinting that is why I was leaning towards that. I've checked the trunk latch and everything. The sound only occurs (without the car moving), when you bang on the middle part of the window on the outside approximately directly above the rear defroster.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

can you actually locate the general area where the squeak is? like, not "the rear window" but "to the bottom right of the rear window"?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:47 AM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

shocks for the trunk loose or bad? Is it definitely coming from the inside?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

A couple things to check. I've seen several mustangs where the rear window sealant dried up and the window was actually just sitting in it's grooves. Any force from inside what so ever could Lift the window out at the bottom.

The next item to check is the rear package tray.

Lastly, the sail panels.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

When the car is parked....if I'm sitting in the backseat and if I bang on the window (right next to the rear defroster, I can get out of the car and hit the exact same spot (but from the outside) and the clicking sound will happen directly there. Its definitely from the inside.

I realize this is all really annoying but when you're driving and it clicks so high pitched that it rivals someone sitting behind you and violently flicking your ear, its frustrating the living hell out of me.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:06 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

We had the trunk open, thought it could be the amp rack (MACH 1000), banged all over the trunk, nothing made a sound other than the rear window after it was banged from the inside and then the outside.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

I'm not exactly sure how they are mounted in the coupe, but what about the defroster wires? That could also correlate to the noise starting when you had the windows tinted, as the tinter could have removed the wire and maybe not got it back exactly the same way.

Quick Reply: Ready? I'm about to stump all of you guys...