4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Never thought the day would come.....but UDPs went on today

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I bought a Steeda set from a fellow forum member, at a reasonable price, and was quite pleased the the result. Not OMG, WTF, WOW, but quite noticeable on hard acceleration in the mid/upper RPMs, and a bit of MPG gain.

Sort of related, I installed a lightened flywheel (16lbs) and new clutch yesterday and found a similar "gain", also during hard acceleration at almost any RPM--I'm waiting to see if there's any gain "at the pump"...
Cliff, when are ya gonna get the KB?
Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Cliff, when are ya gonna get the KB?
I can't...

Aside from the goverment screwing me out of every penny I've saved for retirement, I only have one 'lifetime" traffic school option left (Florida gives you 5).

I had blowers on my Miatas (was getting 235HP from1.6L) and know for a fact that sticking a blower on top of the Mustang motor would cost me my license--I have this "thing" about speed, always have...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:05 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Cliffy, why not slap on a 100 shot? Take the bottle out when you're off the track. Get your speed fix every week or so
I got my 100-125 NOS kit brand new on eBay for $325
Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It's the "going fast" part I enjoy most, not the "getting going fast" part--I got a ticket on I-95 in Connecticut years ago; going 140+ in a '90 Supra twin turbo--I had the cruise control on...

Then there was the "who knows???" in the late 70s. I had a Kawasaki H-3 750 2-stroke, ported/polished, expansion chambers, with drag bars and clip-ons; and no speedometer, just a big tach. I was buzzing along the mid-Cape highway (route 6 on Cape Cod) around dusk, with the tach up against the redline, and saw headlights sort of gaining on me--sensing something was not right I backed off a bit.

The State Trooper, in a 428 Crown Vic, told me he had the speedometer buried just to keep up with me. He said he was surprised I had not seen him (at the side of the road)--I told him that "at that speed, on a bike, I was not looking at the side of the road".

Fortunately he was a friend of one of my gun shop customers and had enjoyed the chase--that was the old days too...
Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

It's the "going fast" part I enjoy most, not the "getting going fast" part--I got a ticket on I-95 in Connecticut years ago; going 140+ in a '90 Supra twin turbo--I had the cruise control on...

Then there was the "who knows???" in the late 70s. I had a Kawasaki H-3 750 2-stroke, ported/polished, expansion chambers, with drag bars and clip-ons; and no speedometer, just a big tach. I was buzzing along the mid-Cape highway (route 6 on Cape Cod) around dusk, with the tach up against the redline, and saw headlights sort of gaining on me--sensing something was not right I backed off a bit.

The State Trooper, in a 428 Crown Vic, told me he had the speedometer buried just to keep up with me. He said he was surprised I had not seen him (at the side of the road)--I told him that "at that speed, on a bike, I was not looking at the side of the road".

Fortunately he was a friend of one of my gun shop customers and had enjoyed the chase--that was the old days too...
War stories, good stuff!!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

I did 140 in a 55 before, but nothing faster than that. I was afraid or deer running out on the highway. I do however remember when I was about 18, I had an 86 Old Cutlass Supreme with a 307ci with a 3spd auto. Speedo only went to 85 but it topped out at 100 flat. I came haulin down the highway one night around 10:30 on like a Tuesday with my foot stuffed in the floor on my way home from work. Speed limit was 55 andn I was haulin at 100. Long story short, I saw a car up a head, slowed way down..not in time though...he snagged me for 92 in a 55. He goes, "Did you know you were doing 92mph?" I said, "No officer I didn't know, my speedometer only goes to 85" BAHAHAHA classic!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang9946
I did 140 in a 55 before, but nothing faster than that. I was afraid or deer running out on the highway. I do however remember when I was about 18, I had an 86 Old Cutlass Supreme with a 307ci with a 3spd auto. Speedo only went to 85 but it topped out at 100 flat. I came haulin down the highway one night around 10:30 on like a Tuesday with my foot stuffed in the floor on my way home from work. Speed limit was 55 andn I was haulin at 100. Long story short, I saw a car up a head, slowed way down..not in time though...he snagged me for 92 in a 55. He goes, "Did you know you were doing 92mph?" I said, "No officer I didn't know, my speedometer only goes to 85" BAHAHAHA classic!
Not the old days buy I was out racing on I-485 one day and got pulled over by a trooper that ended up comming into my bar ALL the time. Long story short I learned everything about those cop cars haha.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:32 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

After driving the mustang a few times, the car definitely seems to rev a bit quicker. I can't feel much of a power gain on the butt dyno, but the track next week should give me a good idea if there was any substantial gain.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tbirdscwd
After driving the mustang a few times, the car definitely seems to rev a bit quicker. I can't feel much of a power gain on the butt dyno, but the track next week should give me a good idea if there was any substantial gain.
When i did mine i couldn't actually feel any difference, but apparently i did make a small gain. Before the udp's my bro (he has a 06 gt) would always pull me just a tad from a roll race in 3rd, and after the udp's we were basically dead even (same 3rd gear race) every time. No doubt they helped a little in the upper revs.