4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Headers getting some but dunno which????

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM
03SonicBlue_GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Headers getting some but dunno which????

so i just came across these longtubes on ebay they look good, 7 sold and great price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

i was gonna get the bbk shorties, but i have read longtubes will give more hp.
and also i did not want to spend the amount of money i saw longtubes are compared to the shorties. do you guys think these would be alright.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:34 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Do a search
Tons of threads on this very subject
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 PM
03SonicBlue_GT
2nd Gear Member

i just figured some of you guys knew a little. also i have read that some longtubes do not fiit right around steering shafts. just let me know. and also COULD ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET A AVATAR PIC???
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

LT's are the only way to go, most are worth anywhere from 15-25 rwhp, just make sure of emissions legality where you're at (I live in CA which basically means I can't have LT's). Shorties aren't really worth doing, they're only good for about 5 rwhp at best. I might do a set of shorties someday after blower/heads/cams, but only so I can say I did headers. And as Lizzy said, do a search here on LT's, there's a buttload of threads on the subject and from that you should be able to figure out which brands people are most happy or unhappy with in terms of fitment and function. For you avatar pic, go to the blue tool bar toward the top of the screen (it's right on top of your first post for this thread), and click on "User CP" (far left). You should be able to figure it out from there, it's somewhat self explanatory.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 PM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03SonicBlue_GT
i just figured some of you guys knew a little. also i have read that some longtubes do not fiit right around steering shafts. just let me know. and also COULD ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET A AVATAR PIC???
BBK LTs are cheap, and they sound great IMO. Some guys will complain about where they placed the welds, but honestly, it really doesn't matter. I've had mine for a while and they've been great. I get an awesome sound and a nice power gain. here's what it sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCRPr3fzHuw
Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I am totally against BBK and Mac products but that's just me. I am a firm believer that its ARH, Kooks, or GTFO, but most of us cobra guys are. Shorties are a waste, you are pretty much taking your money and lighting it on fire if you buy shorties lol. If you don't have the money or don't want to save for a set of ARH or Kooks, try and get SLP's. I have seen them on sale before at a couple different website and sometimes you can find a good deal on them from EBAY. But if on a tight budget go with Mac over BBK. I have alot of experience with different brand of headers over the years with all my stangs. Especially since you live in IL, if your car is your DD the road salt will eat up them BBKs and Macs. A stainless Steel header will hold up better with all the road salt we get.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
thunderhorse
3rd Gear Member

^^^ with his point, I can't attest to how they hold up to road salt.. I store my car for the Buffalo winter. But in wet and dry summer weather, they're fine as can be.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

In reality any gains on an N/A New Edge from Long Tubes is negligible. Your stock exhaust is not your choke point in air flow and is capable of flowing whatever your car with bolt ons can throw at it, especially with a cat-back. You will see 15-20RWHP on boosted applications for the most part however.

Kenne Bell even claims based on their dyno experience long tubes net you 0 HP until your in the 500-600s.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:33 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
Do a search
Tons of threads on this very subject
+1 but if you dont go and search go with lts. I love my macs. There great. There cheaper in price and you dont have to loosen them when or if you have to drop your tranny.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 AM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

those only have a 2inch opening too, any aftermarket midpipe you buy to go with that will be 2.5 inch. Look into MAC, i got a deal on ebay for 500-550 shipped for my lt's and a O/R H. (all 2.5 inch)

Quick Reply: Headers getting some but dunno which????