4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What would you pay? 98 wayy sick Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:10 AM
sethg182

good piont Trailor...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sethg182
good piont Trailor...
Actually it is a terrible point.
Just because an engine was rebuilt before a certain time does not always mean it was beat to hell. If the builder of the car was proactive and had the engine made stronger before putting a S/C on it that is great. I would buy a car that had thousands of $ of Good aftermarket parts on it before I bought a low mile S/C car any-day. Usual if they go through the expense of upgrading multiple parts it means they have common sense and probably treated the car pretty good
Old 05-10-2010, 11:49 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

^That
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
0949er
4th Gear Member

I take GREAT care of my engine.... Has 47k miles? As soon as I get the funds I'm going to rebuild it w/out a doubt, weather something is wrong with it or not....
Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Personally I think you need to see it before making a judgement. Who knows, either the guy beat the living s**t out of it and rebuilt it right, or built it to be able to handle getting its *** handed to it. Either way, can't tell for sure until you drive it.

Maybe its just me, but I don't understand what the point is to put all of that money into a car just to turn around and sell it and take a loss on it.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

why would you rebuild it and not beef up the internals???? ESPECIALLY if you go SC?? sure, you personally may rebuild your engine just for the hell of it (a stupid decision IMO, cuz if it aint broke, dont fix it), but that dont mean other people do the same, ESPECIALLY with all the mods this guy has listed. and if you think that im just blowin smoke, you're way too damn naive and trusting. i mean unless you know this guy personally, how would you know he was "proactive" with his maintenance? you just gonna take some random craigslist stranger's word for it? you guys are settin this man up for failure and its a damn shame! dont listen to em!!

and usually if they spent the money upgradin all those those parts, they probably used and abused the hell out of em. the guy listed in his ad about how much track experience he had. you really gonna believe he only brought it a few times? i mean he brags about it in the ad for Christ's sake! don't look past the obvious.. you really think that engine wasnt rebuilt cuz he blew it?

Last edited by trailor; 05-10-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicMustang143
Maybe its just me, but I don't understand what the point is to put all of that money into a car just to turn around and sell it and take a loss on it.
^+1!!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by trailor
why would you rebuild it and not beef up the internals???? ESPECIALLY if you go SC?? sure, you personally may rebuild your engine just for the hell of it (a stupid decision IMO, cuz if it aint broke, dont fix it), but that dont mean other people do the same, ESPECIALLY with all the mods this guy has listed. and if you think that im just blowin smoke, you're way too damn naive and trusting. i mean unless you know this guy personally, how would you know he was "proactive" with his maintenance? you just gonna take some random craigslist stranger's word for it? you guys are settin this man up for failure and its a damn shame! dont listen to em!!
What the hell are you talking about rebuilding and not upgrading?! The thing has forged probe pistons and forged rods!!! Thats definitely an upgrade over stock powdered rods and pistons. You are blowing smoke because you obviously dont know what youre reading in the original post. Has upgraded everything with forged internals and did a valve job and everything. This thing was done right, which is why i would have no reservation after going to look at the car and driving it, if i was pleased, buying it. You sir are the one that needs to not be listened to.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:15 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

ok, i apologize for not reading the whole list of mods listed. however that guy better have every last receipt for all those jobs done. don't take his word on anything. still, this car is obviously a track star, and, as the guy originally posted, he wants it as a secondary car that will not need much maintenance/attention. as a secondary car, i would not suggest this vehicle, plain and simple. regardless of what work this guy has done, it in no way reflects his own personal care and attention to the vehicle. it seems to me the guy hasn't spent 10 minutes under his own hood if a shop installed all these parts, so how could you say he truly cares for it? and if a shop indstalled all these parts, he'd be taking a HUGE loss on this sale due to what he paid in labor alone.

case in point, this is not a good secondary, low risk vehicle. sorry for the missed mods, but i still firmly believe youre settin this man up for failure

Last edited by trailor; 05-10-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

You pay people to do a job that you dont feel comfortable doing and feel that someone else would do a better job of doing. Also, if you dont have the time to install the parts yourself, you pay a professional to do the install so you dont have to do the install on a tight time table and end up messing something up. Also, shops usually stand behind their work and if something is wrong, you take it back and they look into it where as you mess something up, its on your head. All very valid reasons to send the car to the shop for work to get done over doing yourself.

Quick Reply: What would you pay? 98 wayy sick Cobra