4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

18" wheel owners come in...gauging interest

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:29 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Well what im saying is not that they be used for drag racing, but like street driving and spirited driving that doesnt necessarily require drag radials or r-compound tires. I mean i know nitto's target market, but they should look to expand their markets because then they can make more money. I mean they have a name in the import scene already and they are starting to make a name in the muscle car market, but they are limiting their buyers by not offering larger sizes than they are. I mean why focus on the import market which they already have a firm grasp on, and focus on where they dont have the best grip on to widen their market share in that area.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
Well what im saying is not that they be used for drag racing, but like street driving and spirited driving that doesnt necessarily require drag radials or r-compound tires. I mean i know nitto's target market, but they should look to expand their markets because then they can make more money. I mean they have a name in the import scene already and they are starting to make a name in the muscle car market, but they are limiting their buyers by not offering larger sizes than they are. I mean why focus on the import market which they already have a firm grasp on, and focus on where they dont have the best grip on to widen their market share in that area.
They'd be a fool to not focus on the import market atm, toyo, falken, and yokohama's are tough competitors for them to ignore.
Expansions not a bad idea though but I don't think they have the resources in the current economic climate for it. I don't know what they need to do to produce an nt05 in a 315 though, could be as simple as injecting more rubber.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM
sonicx
speed'n

I think its time you made a trip overseas and saw Europe TJ lol and see the difference between American racer v. European racers (how they race, what they race, and where they race). Its all about the imports, very few try American. The market over there is unbelieveable for flashy sport tires such as nittos people throw these tires on like people throw on goodyears over here. Just give Nitto some time, they'll come around. Rome wasn't built over night and neither is Nitto Co. Like i said before, the demand to produce bigger tires is no-existant for Nitto so why spend R&D money when your return investment won't be 10 fold? They're making a killing (trust me) currently w/ street preformance and appealing to Europeans and / or Drifters. But there trying, i've seen to break into yet another market which is good!

Originally Posted by Aereon
They'd be a fool to not focus on the import market atm, toyo, falken, and yokohama's are tough competitors for them to ignore.
Expansions not a bad idea though but I don't think they have the resources in the current economic climate for it. I don't know what they need to do to produce an nt05 in a 315 though, could be as simple as injecting more rubber.
Bingo! Yet, theres a bit more to it then injecting more rubber into a molder. But yea

Last edited by sonicx; 05-10-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:41 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

They'd probably just widen the water channels lol just like what everyone else does, but they would probably add some to the center tread block as well as some to the outer tread block.

And trust me sonic, been to europe a couple of times and i know the scene over there. lol those little cars are fun little skittles to play with.

Last edited by teej281; 05-10-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:46 PM
sonicx
speed'n

They'd probably just widen the water channels lol just like what everyone else does, but they would probably add some to the center tread block as well as some to the outer tread block.
Correct, like im not arguing against you just wanted to point that out. On the contrary im with you 100% and you bring up like i said a good case. Def it would be worth while to send em a response and see what they have to say. I for one would be on board. Hey maybe they'll even renamed a tire NTJ101

edit: when you were driving 1, did it ever cross the back of your mind that you might break the car? ahahaha like you were playing w/ a knock of version of a 1:64 scale Hot Wheels car??? :0

Last edited by sonicx; 05-10-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Dude, those cars are all toys man. I mean most of the ones that the usual person can afford and drive are like mini's and stuff. I often thought about going over there and tearing s*** up over in europe in the stang for the cannon ball run europe. lol after college of course.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

Don't mean to burst your bubble on Nitto, but I have a very nice set of tires for my 18x10.5" cobras. I got a pair of Hankook Ventus R-S2 tires in 315/30ZR/18 98Y on sale at Tire Rack for like $370 TOTAL... and I love them. Nitto isn't everything for tires, there are other good ones out there, you just have to look for a while to find a good one at the right price. It took me a good two months of searching to find this deal.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Those arent offered anymore. They were a closeout item i guess. And yes, i understand that Nittos arent the end all be all of tires, but they make some pretty impressive, very affordable tires and they need to expand those lines of tires so that everyone can enjoy them, not just people with certain size wheels. And I dont see why we have to wait for good tires to go on closeout to get them when we all need tires at certain times and cant always wait around for the next closeout to occur.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:53 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

it would be sweet if you could get them to do something in those sizes but not likely i have been in contact with nitto several times trying to find out if they are planning on coming out with a wider 18 inch street tire and they said they had no plans in the future to produce one. i have also called in to discount tires corporate office (i work for discount tire) and they told me they have been in contact with nitto several times about getting them to produce wider tires for 18 and 20 inch wheels.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:57 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yea, thats why im trying to get lots of interest for these tires that way its not just one person at a time asking/inquiring about wider tires, its a whole group that would be very interested in buying them. I thought that might get a better reaction than just one person.

Quick Reply: 18" wheel owners come in...gauging interest