MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion-88/)
-   -   Give me the new edge facts. (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/600457-give-me-the-new-edge-facts.html)

Explosive 05-10-2010 04:00 PM

Give me the new edge facts.

Looking into getting a different vehicle. Think I have decided I want something a little newer. I love the looks of the new edge. So I'm lookin at 2004 GT's.

It's gonna be a driver, The perfect combo for me would be Grey paint, cloth interior ( I hate leather with a passion) and an automatic trans. ( i have a play car already, see vids in sig)

So I'm up on Foxes, but nothing newer. So what should I know about these cars ? Are they a good choice ? I just want something a little newer than all the older vehicles I drive. Something I can just drive.

Jay-rod427 05-10-2010 04:29 PM

The New Edge are great if you don't want any big performance from it, they are heavy and underpowered. Those can both be changed with $$$,but a daily driver you can't beat the looks of them in my opinion. The Mach 1's look the best to me.

99GTvert 05-10-2010 04:36 PM

The PI heads usually have issues with 'spark plug blowout', but that can be caused by improper spark plug installation and not so much because there aren't many threads in the heads...but 04's have more threads in them than the earlier years.

The plastic intake can crack/leak...and the car can die/stall on its own sometimes, which can be fixed with replacing the IAC valve (though I didn't have success with that) or by raising the idle engine speed a few hundred RPM's (which my tuner did and I don't stall out nearly as much anymore).

Some people have had issues with a 'ticking' noise coming from the motor. Something with the timing chain or some ****, I dunno too much about it though.

....that's about the only BS that's common with these cars.

In the end, they are good cars. If you do pick up a GT with black leather seats, I'll trade you for my crappy cloth black seats. :D

mrtstang 05-10-2010 04:51 PM

Overall i think they're great affordable cars. Since we're only a few miles apart, you're welcome to take mine for a spin sometime if you like.

I don't agree with the fact that they're heavy and underpowered. Sure they could use a little more power, but these cars are fairly light when compared with today's new muscle cars.

Mr Graystang 05-10-2010 04:57 PM

They sound great with many exhaust and cam combo's, Nice roar's the modular 4.6 puts out. The interior is really nice once you get past the all rattles, the stock mach system sounds really good also (I suggest replacing the front speakers with infinity Kappa's as they tend to blow easy). Add a set of 3.73 gears and it feels like a new car, your MPG with stay the same. All in All great reliable cars just keep up the maintenance but Im sure you know that.

Mustang3GT07 05-10-2010 05:14 PM

They make good DD and the 2v 4.6 is pretty reliable.

Batenswytch 05-10-2010 05:18 PM

Glad I read this thread. We're still a couple of years off, but m'girl has decided for her first car, she wants a New Edge, and I didn't know anything about them. This was actually a pretty damn informative read.

Mr Graystang 05-10-2010 05:20 PM

She has good taste Ghost Horse.

Soldier GT 05-10-2010 05:38 PM

I don't know man. I'm real partial to the look of the New Edge. Like someone said it's not the pin you to your seats muscle car but with a little money (well, alot of money) it can run with the best of them. I can remember buying my GT in 07 and thinking that I was the baddest thing on the block.. Man I was sadly mistaken. Now the car has become some sort of a project (hobby) to me. Gonna buy a V3 whithin the next 4 mths and then its on to getting the bottom end beefed up (getting car prepped for the Trick Flow Heads). I can remember racing a Cobalt SS and the guy blasted me. About a 1/2 year later we met (after modding the car) and he was like Damn!!! So if you like the car I would say go for it.... Good luck!

Hangwire 05-10-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by 99GTvert (Post 6994498)
The PI heads usually have issues with 'spark plug blowout', but that can be caused by improper spark plug installation and not so much because there aren't many threads in the heads...but 04's have more threads in them than the earlier years.

The plastic intake can crack/leak...and the car can die/stall on its own sometimes, which can be fixed with replacing the IAC valve (though I didn't have success with that) or by raising the idle engine speed a few hundred RPM's (which my tuner did and I don't stall out nearly as much anymore).

Some people have had issues with a 'ticking' noise coming from the motor. Something with the timing chain or some ****, I dunno too much about it though.

....that's about the only BS that's common with these cars.

In the end, they are good cars. If you do pick up a GT with black leather seats, I'll trade you for my crappy cloth black seats. :D

Thats a Mach 1 issue only.

Theres a really good thread around here with all the things they improved/fixed by 2003. THE KEY IS TO GET A 2003 OR UP. If you are going to get an automatic GET A 2004 because it has a 4R75W instead of the 99-2003 being the 4R70W. Nothing wrong with the 4R70W its a great realiable transmission that can handle GOBS of aftermarket power but like all the other little things on the 03s and up the 4R75W is a bit nicer.

Here are some threads to check out!
"2000-2004"
"performance diff between 02 and 04"
"Pink injectors?(info on fuel injector change/reasoning)
"Best / most reliable new edge year..."

Have fun kids and I think theres a single thread that has a ton of information on this topic just couldnt find it.

And OMG O-Tards invading 4.6!