4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

New 5.0 in a New Edge??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Default New 5.0 in a New Edge??

Hey guys....

Has anyone thrown around the idea of transplanting the new 5.0 with the transmission into our New Edges? I'm in love with the new edge and in love with the 5.0. However I cannot justify paying off my car, just to sell it and then spend another 30-35k on another mustang just for that engine. I may just hold out until the new 5.0 motor becomes a more affordable option to drop into our cars. Any thoughts? I'm in it for the long run with my car, going to be keeping as my garage queen, thats one of the reasons why I bought it so please no, "Just sell it and buy a 2011"

What you guys think?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:19 PM
jst98gtmustang
3rd Gear Member

i have no clue..But that would be a pretty sick build.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:21 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I think the biggest issue would be the computer and harness....
I don't think getting it to "fit" would be terrible, but likely not too cheap. Honestly, if you are not pinching pennies like me lol, I would call your local speed shop and ask them what they think. Honestly, The money you would have into the engine transmission, harness, CPU, drive shaft, etc etc....you could buy half of the New mustang....I don't know, I think you may be better off just holding out for now...

Think of it this way, that motor is definitely sick, but is it worth the power you will get out of it for the money? I dunno, you could reach that power for far less just by modding your current ride. Besides,..who knows what the exhaust note will sound like with the new ones lol.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:34 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I saw another thread about doing this....I'm sure it's possible. Like anything, with some smarts and money, anything is possible.

I think it would be very cool to do. And honestly, I think it is only a matter of time before someone does it. Not just from MF but in general. I could see it as some speed shop doing it for a "shop car" project.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Anything is possible as long as you got the money
Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
I think the biggest issue would be the computer and harness....
I don't think getting it to "fit" would be terrible, but likely not too cheap. Honestly, if you are not pinching pennies like me lol, I would call your local speed shop and ask them what they think. Honestly, The money you would have into the engine transmission, harness, CPU, drive shaft, etc etc....you could buy half of the New mustang....I don't know, I think you may be better off just holding out for now...

Think of it this way, that motor is definitely sick, but is it worth the power you will get out of it for the money? I dunno, you could reach that power for far less just by modding your current ride. Besides,..who knows what the exhaust note will sound like with the new ones lol.
I think that is along the same lines as building a N/A car or just throwing a SC on....get more hp more easily with less money going with a SC, but to me a N/A motor is more impressive.

So would moding his current car with a SC or whatever end up cheaper with the same power? Yes...but i see it as the easy way out It would be so much more impressive to open the hood to see the 5.OHHH in there than a dime-a-dozen vortech setup (not knocking vortech guys or SC guys...hell I wish I could afford one) but IMO for the "cool" factor I say the 5.0
Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I would just LOVE to take the GT badges off the fenders and put the 5.0 on it. I just think it would be really unique. new 5.0 in a new edge, In my opinion, would be the best of both worlds...

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 05-11-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I agree,...if Only I had the money lol...
Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
jst98gtmustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicMustang143
I would just LOVE to take the GT badges off the fenders and put the 5.0 on it. I just think it would be really unique. new 5.0 in a new edge, In my opinion, would be the best of both worlds...
That would be! it be very unique an one sweet ride.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SonicMustang143
You got that rite!

Quick Reply: New 5.0 in a New Edge??