4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

heads, cams, and MA emissions

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 AM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

Default heads, cams, and MA emissions

I was wonderin if anyone knows if I was to get TF heads and stage II cams would it effect my emissions in MA? or basically as long as theres no check engine light i should be fine?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

well, if I'm not mistaken, there is no more sniffer test, and they only plug the computer into your OBD port and check for codes. If you have a CEL, you will fail right off the bat, but the computer checks for codes in the PCM so if that is clear you should be fine.

I have yet to get inspected with my o/r X with MIL's (don't have a CEL) but am curious about the computer reading the PCM. I'm not ecpecting any problems though. I COULD fail just by the smell of my car...but I know the guy so again im not too worried.

If you have cats, and everything is up to par with no CEL I would suspect you being fine.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

I am currently dealing with this right now. i went for an inspection sticker 3 weeks ago and it failed because their machine could not read my o2 sensors (just bought the car, didn't realize they were turned off), so i have a block on my registration and i had to get my car retuned, cats put back on, etc. now all my sensors are on and ready as well as no CEL light.

i have an appointment for tomorrow morning to go to the local state inspection station to get the car tested and hopefully get the block lifted so i can go get my sticker.

so basically i am out 750$ for the tune and parts right now for a sticker.

Ma inspection is awful. just one hassle after another.

good luck with your inspection. hope yours is easier than mine.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:21 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty sure everything is illegal in MA, I would never want to live there just for that reason lol.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
xterm11
1st Gear Member

I have an o/r x pipe and passed the computer test the past 2 years without so much as a peep from the inspector. As long as they don't do a visual inspection I don't have any issue passing.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:30 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
I'm pretty sure everything is illegal in MA, I would never want to live there just for that reason lol.
HA well it's better than being in CA. I can't wait to move to OH/KY area....no inspection at all right?

Not like I have had any problems with inspection b/c I have been going to this one guy since I started driving at 16...and my father has been going to him (how I met him). I think my last inspection on my 95 Mark 8 took a total of 10 min ahah (2 stock front cats 2 x's and no mufflers).

before pulling the car into the bay sitting in my car:

Him: "Any problems?"
Me: "Nope"
Him: "All your lights work?"
Me: "Yep"
Him: "Good I don't give a **** if they don't...your problem" (with a smirk)

pulled it in, did made the sticker and off I went lol
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
HA well it's better than being in CA. I can't wait to move to OH/KY area....no inspection at all right?

Not like I have had any problems with inspection b/c I have been going to this one guy since I started driving at 16...and my father has been going to him (how I met him). I think my last inspection on my 95 Mark 8 took a total of 10 min ahah (2 stock front cats 2 x's and no mufflers).

before pulling the car into the bay sitting in my car:

Him: "Any problems?"
Me: "Nope"
Him: "All your lights work?"
Me: "Yep"
Him: "Good I don't give a **** if they don't...your problem" (with a smirk)

pulled it in, did made the sticker and off I went lol
lol true, CA is worse. actually ohio has a bunch of inspection counties, but some counties do not do inspections. I lived in a county requiring inspection all my life basically, but I just recently moved to ashtabula, any they have no emissions testing. I'm not sure bout KY though. PA is strict though, i was in school there for a few years, and all the kids in my class were always whining about it lol.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

aha, my g/f is from Ohio and works in KY and I remember going and never seeing inspection stickers both places she lived. I was like..."Oh that's sweet, I can be obnoxious as I want to."
Old 05-24-2010, 12:15 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

As much as I love California it does suck to be a car enthusiasts here
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM
MineralGrey
3rd Gear Member

hmm I'll have to ask few mustang shops around me see what they say. Thanks for your input guys. btw MA sucks! very hypocritical as well.

Quick Reply: heads, cams, and MA emissions