4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Advice on throttle body / plenum

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Is there any dyno sheets out there to prove the bbk 78mm does not add or lose any hp/tq? Or is it more of the whole he/she said type a thing, mixed with follow the leader?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
Is there any dyno sheets out there to prove the bbk 78mm does not add or lose any hp/tq? Or is it more of the whole he/she said type a thing, mixed with follow the leader?
dude for the money, you cant beat the BBK throttle body, hands down.

Weather you loose 3 rwhp compared to if you bought the $200 more accupfab throttle body (and extra plenum), you tell me if the $200 is worth 3 rwhp

All I know is I have a BBK 78mm throttle body on my car... and my performance is by no means hampered haha (even when the car was NA)

You can suck in as much air as the motor will allow, weather the opening is 78mm or 150mm.

*edit* the fact is that BBK did the SMART thing and combined the two products into one. Who cares what the diameter of the hole is... it really DOESN'T matter THAT much

have you considered the other side of the coin? Maybe you guys are paying more BECAUSE the pieces are separate??

sorry this is directed at you dude, im just saying in general. Ppl are ignorant, haha.

Last edited by 0949er; 05-24-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

If you really don't want to spend that much money I would look into the Mac 75mm Throttle Body and a C&L plenum. Both can be had for around $140 each. That means you can upgrade both for under $300 total. I have this combo and it's great for the money.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

^^ Good info 0949er! I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that there is alot of people in this thread and on this forum in general that will say "this part will not give you any hp/tq" but the people that say that have no dyno sheet to prove that it did or didn't. This forum is alot of "follow the leader". One person says it doesn't work and then you got everyone saying the samething. It's like when 4v guys told me longtubes and midpipe wouldn't give me no more then 8rwhp and I proved them all wrong lol.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
^^ Good info 0949er! I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that there is alot of people in this thread and on this forum in general that will say "this part will not give you any hp/tq" but the people that say that have no dyno sheet to prove that it did or didn't. This forum is alot of "follow the leader". One person says it doesn't work and then you got everyone saying the samething. It's like when 4v guys told me longtubes and midpipe wouldn't give me no more then 8rwhp and I proved them all wrong lol.
I dont know WHAT it is about this BBK product that people just cant swallow haha. Its like poison to them. 99% of them saying its horrible have NEVER even had it on their car. I just don't get it haha.

like there is a difference between a 75mm hole and a 78mm hole... please. lol

Last edited by 0949er; 05-24-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:06 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 0949er
I dont know WHAT it is about this BBK product that people just cant swallow haha. Its like poison to them. 99% of them saying its horrible have NEVER even had it on their car. I just don't get it haha.

like there is a difference between a 75mm hole and a 78mm hole... please. lol
There IS a difference. Do you know how small 5mm is? basically nothing, but it makes a difference in terms of function. Why do you think you make 3hp less than other combos? These companies figured out that 75 is the max you really want to go on a 2v single blade tb. BBK just decided, WTH we will come out with a combo for the ignorant ppl who think bigger is better. They are also smart because they are also catering to the cheapo modders who refuse to put quality parts on their cars.

The reason I dont like BBK is because they make cheap ****. That simple.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:15 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
There IS a difference. Do you know how small 5mm is? basically nothing, but it makes a difference in terms of function. Why do you think you make 3hp less than other combos? These companies figured out that 75 is the max you really want to go on a 2v single blade tb. BBK just decided, WTH we will come out with a combo for the ignorant ppl who think bigger is better. They are also smart because they are also catering to the cheapo modders who refuse to put quality parts on their cars.

The reason I dont like BBK is because they make cheap ****. That simple.
ok since you are trying to be a smart ***, the difference is not 5, but 3 mm. you CANNOT tell me a difference of 3mm is going to matter in a N/A car... cant happen man.

Who said you LOOSE 3 rwhp w/ the bbk throttle body anyways? I don't remember loosing any HP when putting it on my car, thats for sure.

And if you really mean "catering to cheapo modders" you are calling every single person who looked at the "$1500 vortech build thread" a cheapo
Old 05-24-2010, 04:17 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

you know what, we will settle this argument like this, just answer this question:

IS the BBK 78mm throttle body/plenum combo BETTER then the stock T/B / Plenum?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

ok since you are trying to be a smart ***, the difference is not 5, but 3 mm. you CANNOT tell me a difference of 3mm is going to matter in a N/A car... cant happen man.

Who said you LOOSE 3 rwhp w/ the bbk throttle body anyways? I don't remember loosing any HP when putting it on my car, thats for sure.

And if you really mean "catering to cheapo modders" you are calling every single person who looked at the "$1500 vortech build thread" a cheapo
I know its only a 3mm difference smart guy. I was just saying thats why there is a 70mm and 75mm...and why it stops there.

And I was basing my statement off what you said.
Weather you loose 3 rwhp compared to if you bought the $200 more accupfab throttle body (and extra plenum), you tell me if the $200 is worth 3 rwhp
I realize you where speaking in general.

And I DO think ppl who buy stuff like that are cheapos. And also, there is a difference in buying something used for a huge price cut and buying an overkill part that has really no benefit other than being a cheaply made china part. Call me crazy, but if im going to mod my car, its going to be with quality parts, not Chinese sweatshop crap so I can save a few bucks.

EDIT:
you know what, we will settle this argument like this, just answer this question:

IS the BBK 78mm throttle body/plenum combo BETTER then the stock T/B / Plenum?
Personally id rather have the stock oem parts than the bbk junk.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:28 PM
0949er
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by H0SS302
I know its only a 3mm difference smart guy. I was just saying thats why there is a 70mm and 75mm...and why it stops there.

And I was basing my statement off what you said.

I realize you where speaking in general.

And I DO think ppl who buy stuff like that are cheapos. And also, there is a difference in buying something used for a huge price cut and buying an overkill part that has really no benefit other than being a cheaply made china part. Call me crazy, but if im going to mod my car, its going to be with quality parts, not Chinese sweatshop crap so I can save a few bucks.

EDIT:

Personally id rather have the stock oem parts than the bbk junk.
dude I just take major offense to that man, im sorry. I am not a cheapo by any STRETCH of the imagination. I did NOT buy the BBK product because it was the CHEAPEST. Cost is only one of many things that goes into a purchase. I have no problem with BBK stuff, and until I run into one, I have no reason to bad-mouth a company for no apparent reason.

Bottom line, its better then stock, get over it. Im sorry you hate BBK so much but don't tell people its **** for no reason.

Quick Reply: Advice on throttle body / plenum