4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

help me with my build!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

all of these replies and nobody asked the MOST important question,...what is your BUDGET for the build process??? If you want 5-600 rwhp you are no longer in the average joe, bolt on a blower and call it a day situation. You will need a ton of supporting mods to make it safe...fuel, suspension, subframe, rear end, transmission..all of these things need addressed when you want that kind of power. If you already have the motor pulled anyways, and you say you are capable of doing the work yourself, you could always just buy a good rotating assembly, get your heads ported, and put it all back together. Personally, I would go with a twinscrew blower over a centri, but that;s just me. I want power, and I don't want to wait for it...
Old 06-10-2010, 12:49 PM
35annGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by devongarver
all of these replies and nobody asked the MOST important question,...what is your BUDGET for the build process??? If you want 5-600 rwhp you are no longer in the average joe, bolt on a blower and call it a day situation. You will need a ton of supporting mods to make it safe...fuel, suspension, subframe, rear end, transmission..all of these things need addressed when you want that kind of power. If you already have the motor pulled anyways, and you say you are capable of doing the work yourself, you could always just buy a good rotating assembly, get your heads ported, and put it all back together. Personally, I would go with a twinscrew blower over a centri, but that;s just me. I want power, and I don't want to wait for it...
I do have a few grand to put into the build. What im wanting to do is build the motor and get it up and running first. and then save up for awhile and buy my blower package. As of right now for the motor without the s/c Ill have 24 lb injs and PP fuel rails. i know when i go with the s/c package i iwll probably need a walbro fuel pump. Also I do currently have subframe connectors, upper and lower lca's, tubular k member and a arms, front cilovers, still waiting on purchasing my struts, t45 new syncros, internals out of a cobra tranny, 3.73 gears, 31 spline axles , detroit locker, as far as the work I will be taking w/e is purchased to a machine shop to have them do the assembly work I am not cnfident I could do every minute detail correctly. That is if I do not buy an assembled shortblock from a company.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
PowerPonyPatrol
1st Gear Member

Yeah if you're wanting 600+rwhp then you're looking at an expensive build and a lot of other stuff to support that. And if you're not doing the internal building yourself, then I would definitely buy a built block from MMR. Also if you're looking at doing heads/cams, which you should, you might look into their longblock which will come with all that already. You won't have the power you're looking for out of the box after you get it up and running, but it'll be more than what you have and it builds a basis for what you're wanting for power eventually. Then you're basically sitting where I'm at, needing to do rear end, suspension work, fuel upgrades, and etc before I can do my supercharger project. Oh and +1 on the twinscrew s/c.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 PM
35annGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PowerPonyPatrol
Yeah if you're wanting 600+rwhp then you're looking at an expensive build and a lot of other stuff to support that. And if you're not doing the internal building yourself, then I would definitely buy a built block from MMR. Also if you're looking at doing heads/cams, which you should, you might look into their longblock which will come with all that already. You won't have the power you're looking for out of the box after you get it up and running, but it'll be more than what you have and it builds a basis for what you're wanting for power eventually. Then you're basically sitting where I'm at, needing to do rear end, suspension work, fuel upgrades, and etc before I can do my supercharger project. Oh and +1 on the twinscrew s/c.
I agree with you it is going to be pricey. I am in the process of getting hi techs. Stage 3 cams and getting my stock heads Pnp...I have all suspension and rear end components so hopefully at the start All I will have to look into is the s/c itself and all of the supporting mods that go with that.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 35annGT
I agree with you it is going to be pricey. I am in the process of getting hi techs. Stage 3 cams and getting my stock heads Pnp...I have all suspension and rear end components so hopefully at the start All I will have to look into is the s/c itself and all of the supporting mods that go with that.
make sure the cams you buy are blower cams if you are looking to good FI in the future. They will work fine na until you put blower on your car.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 PM
35annGT
2nd Gear Member

just an update for everyone,

I recently purchased the aluminum shortblock. next step is getting the 9.5:1 298 stroker kit from livernois, paired with trickflow 44cc heads, and a good blower cam. so far looking at hi-tech brand cams. i am wanting to do a kenne bell s/c about 12-15 lbs. arp bolts, cometic headgaskets, trickflow timing chains and guides. anyone have any info/advice? greatly appreciated thanks
Old 07-30-2010, 03:48 PM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

what block did you buy? those heads will bring that compression ratio down a bit, which is actually good since you dont really need it much with the Kenne Bell. Check out CMS's blower Cams also
Old 07-30-2010, 03:49 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

i thought you wanted to spend a couple grand? just my motor swap alone including the tuning and the fluids and such and without the supporting mods for the s/c it ran me around 4k. I think your lookin into the 9k 10k range if your lookin to run a kb and make 600hp.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 35annGT
just an update for everyone,

I recently purchased the aluminum shortblock. next step is getting the 9.5:1 298 stroker kit from livernois, paired with trickflow 44cc heads, and a good blower cam. so far looking at hi-tech brand cams. i am wanting to do a kenne bell s/c about 12-15 lbs. arp bolts, cometic headgaskets, trickflow timing chains and guides. anyone have any info/advice? greatly appreciated thanks
I think that you mean block man. lol and those heads will not bring compression down, it will infact raise it slightly. and I would go with a set of MHS or CMS cams as we have reps from both on the forum and both are willing and able to help you with your selection. Tims99GT's car should soon be done and he is running that kinda setup wtih a 2.8L KB and should be pretty sick nasty when its done.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 PM
35annGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by boduke0220
what block did you buy? those heads will bring that compression ratio down a bit, which is actually good since you dont really need it much with the Kenne Bell. Check out CMS's blower Cams also
Ford racing aluminum shortblock, bare block not assembled

Quick Reply: help me with my build!!