00 GT Advice - MustangForums.com



4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
00GT Project
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NV
Posts: 5
Thumbs up 00 GT Advice

Hey guys, I'm new here and sure someone has posted something similar to this, but probably not exact. I have a 2000 GT Mustang and am ready to up the hp. Right now all I have is flowmaster exhaust and BBK longtube headers. I have about 5k right now that I'd like to invest strictly for power gains. What would be the best bang for my buck? I'm hoping I can reach about 400 to the tires without worrying about blowing the engine. I just passed the 90k mark about a week ago, but have absolutely no problems with the motor. I was looking at vortech chargers, but it looked like one would set me back a little more then I wanted. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!
00GT Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Eduardo
3rd Gear Member
 
Eduardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County
Posts: 686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GT Project View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here and sure someone has posted something similar to this, but probably not exact. I have a 2000 GT Mustang and am ready to up the hp. Right now all I have is flowmaster exhaust and BBK longtube headers. I have about 5k right now that I'd like to invest strictly for power gains. What would be the best bang for my buck? I'm hoping I can reach about 400 to the tires without worrying about blowing the engine. I just passed the 90k mark about a week ago, but have absolutely no problems with the motor. I was looking at vortech chargers, but it looked like one would set me back a little more then I wanted. ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!
Definetly go with a blower, my whole blower setup cost me 3000 with a $400 tune. You just have to know how to piece it together or find a good deal on a used system
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
MU71L4710N
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location:
Posts: 3,189
Default

get a blower, read the stickies in the boost section.
MU71L4710N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
devongarver
5th Gear Member
 
devongarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,994
Default

a centrifugal supercharger is the way to go for you. as stated, read the stickies in the boost section, this will give you a very good amount of information. As far as "safe" 400hp to the tires...meh...it's all a matter of time really. It's not an if, but a when it will blow. But, you can boost it now, and later when it blows just build the motor to handle the boost and it'll be bulletproof.


good luck and welcome!
devongarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
00GT Project
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NV
Posts: 5
Default

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I was searching through the forums and came across the discussion of a magnacharger. I love the whine and the immediate power gains. Would this be something to consider for my project? Any leftover cash would go to "bulletproofing the engine."
00GT Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
00GT Project
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NV
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00GT Project View Post
Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I was searching through the forums and came across the discussion of a magnacharger. I love the whine and the immediate power gains. Would this be something to consider for my project? Any leftover cash would go to "bulletproofing the engine."
Wait, nevermind, it looks like the magnacharger is only for the 05 and up models unless I'm mistaken. Anyways does anyone here think it's ok to buy a used charger or blower? That would definitely save some cash and allow for other mods.

Thanks again
00GT Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member
 
MustangMan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MD, but NC for school
Posts: 2,374
Default

used is the way to go...thats how you get it WAYY cheaper. find a good head unit (actual blower itself) then start piecing it together via www.superchargersonline.com and then you need spark plugs, oil, fuel injectors, fuel pump, gauges, etc etc
MustangMan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
2kStangGT08
2nd Gear Member
 
2kStangGT08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Texas
Posts: 331
Default

Do all blowers sound the same P1sc? I had a loaner P1sc and sounded badass loud whistle and now this rebuilt one sounds low compared to the loaner. Y is that?
2kStangGT08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
MustangMan00
5th Gear Member
 
MustangMan00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: MD, but NC for school
Posts: 2,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kStangGT08 View Post
Do all blowers sound the same P1sc? I had a loaner P1sc and sounded badass loud whistle and now this rebuilt one sounds low compared to the loaner. Y is that?
I doubt they all sound the same..what kinda of power are you making?
MustangMan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member
 
Eagle2000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Shelbyville, Indiana
Posts: 1,088
Default

Your 2000 GT has a Windsor motor-a truck motor. I've read tech articles that say it has the same rods as the '99-01 Cobra motor which is slightly stonger than the Romeo rods (a car motor). The key word here is slightly. They are still not forged.

How long your motor will last depend entirely on how greedy you get. Most tuners say to keep a daily driver around 370-380 rwhp. My car has 140,000 miles. I put the ProCharger on at 80,000 miles so the last 60,000 miles were supercharged. I fully expect the motor to last to 200,000 miles. But then I'm not greedy. All I'm after is a fun daily driver.

I just read a post from a guy who pushed his stock motor to 415 rwhp running a blower with an power pipe at 12.5 psi. He blew his motor the first time down the track. I've read posts from guys who push up to 435 rwhp by running 14 psi. One's motor last 2 months, the other's seven months.

You can choose how much risk you want to take. Choose wisely.
Eagle2000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low RPM hesitation / misfire between 900-1200 Omgitsa88Stang 5.0L General Discussion 5 10-05-2015 08:33 AM
Ticking coming from 4.6L. What could it be? Shadow7874 2005-2014 Mustangs 4 09-24-2015 10:06 PM
Bought a new 15 GT annnnd it's messed up. 2k232 The New S550 2015-2017 Mustang 3 09-16-2015 11:28 AM
Head gasket issues please help EASTIDEE123 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 5 09-15-2015 12:08 PM
AODE Woes Pyrate Dave 5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang 8 09-10-2015 08:30 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.