4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Full Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 PM
GTV8

Default Full Exhaust Question

First post anyone?

Well for starters Ive been looking around for a 99-04 Mustang GT, found a few on craigslist but of course I was to late and the postings were old... Besides that I am determined to get a mustang when ever I can find one thats worth the money and in my price range... So its basically not if but when...

That being said, ive been looking at parts to get and stuff to start off, and I guess long tube headers are illegal for emissions testing?

So with out long tubes, I was wondering since they have shorty headers and shorty mid pipes aren't they SHORTER length? How is the full exhaust supposed to reach the back of the car if everything's shortened... This is probably a really dumb question but my auto tech friend wasnt sure either. Also we were wondering if different brands of headers mid pipes and cat backs can be used together?

I assume so since they are all made to fit the same cars but then again I cant be sure...

Or another helpful one, if long tubes arent an option what is the best type of header to use?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:51 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

the shorty mid pipe is for the longtube headers, and the shorty headers are the same size as what you have now. shorty's arent really worth it, some will say both arent. you live in ohio so you should be ok, just take the car to a mom and pops shop
Old 06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
ChalknCover
Sgt. Killjoy

Yeah, shorty headers aren't worth it imo. If you are going to do headers, do longtubes. Or, just get a x or h pipe with hi flow cats and a catback and call it a day. Unless you are trying to build a full bolt on car, just scratch the headers.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:38 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

no emission issues in ohio with long tubes
Old 06-13-2010, 04:29 PM
GTV8

Originally Posted by boduke0220
the shorty mid pipe is for the longtube headers, and the shorty headers are the same size as what you have now. shorty's arent really worth it, some will say both arent. you live in ohio so you should be ok, just take the car to a mom and pops shop
ohhh. both arent worth it? so what your saying just dont get headers?

Originally Posted by BlueBloodedPony
Yeah, shorty headers aren't worth it imo. If you are going to do headers, do longtubes. Or, just get a x or h pipe with hi flow cats and a catback and call it a day. Unless you are trying to build a full bolt on car, just scratch the headers.
Im not really trying to do a full bolt on car, if you mean only bolt ons, but thats basically all im going to be able to do for a while until i save up money for a turbo kit or s/c but im thinking turbo...
Old 06-14-2010, 02:24 AM
GTV8

What about buying a stang with shorties already on it? Would it be hard/worth it to replace them with something different?

Im looking at one that basically has every bolt on I would get but it has shortys on it already....

I kind of would rather get a stock-ish car with lower miles and do it all myself but this way id also be saving on having to buy all the parts new
Old 06-14-2010, 04:08 AM
04orngegt
1st Gear Member

maryland strict as hell... ive passed with long tubes with high flow cats and ive also passed with long tubes with hollowed out cats... with that being said youll pass no problem. if you get rid of the cats just get mil eliminators. There good for sound but with out a turbo or supercharger you wont get a hudge gain.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:37 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTV8
ohhh. both arent worth it? so what your saying just dont get headers?
it varies person to person, you just gotta decide.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:49 AM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

if youre going turbo, the only headers you can run is shorties. You cant do longtubes with a turbo unless youre using turbo headers that are made for your setup.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTV8
First post anyone?

Well for starters Ive been looking around for a 99-04 Mustang GT, found a few on craigslist but of course I was to late and the postings were old... Besides that I am determined to get a mustang when ever I can find one thats worth the money and in my price range... So its basically not if but when...

That being said, ive been looking at parts to get and stuff to start off, and I guess long tube headers are illegal for emissions testing?

So with out long tubes, I was wondering since they have shorty headers and shorty mid pipes aren't they SHORTER length? How is the full exhaust supposed to reach the back of the car if everything's shortened... This is probably a really dumb question but my auto tech friend wasnt sure either. Also we were wondering if different brands of headers mid pipes and cat backs can be used together?

I assume so since they are all made to fit the same cars but then again I cant be sure...

Or another helpful one, if long tubes arent an option what is the best type of header to use?

Where are you in Ohio, Mine is for sale.

Quick Reply: Full Exhaust Question