4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SCT Eliminator as first mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

Default SCT Eliminator as first mod?

Do you guys think this would make a good first mod for my 2003 GT?

I'm not looking to do tons of mods to this car honestly, maybe a chip, and later an intake plenum and throttle body with spacer.

My goal is to keep the car as close to stock as possible, while still adding a little more oomph at the touch of a switch, and this seems like the perfect thing. I could have a normal tune for the daily commute, and switch it over to RACE for the weekends
Old 06-23-2010, 01:28 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

To be honest your not going to feel much of a difference if any w/ a plenum and throttle body & spacer. Best mods to keep somewhat stock.....gears (4.10s)/tuner, short throw and o/r midpipe (H or X) Those will yield the biggest difference.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

My vote goes for the gears and a cold air intake (possibly a more free-flowing exhaust) before a tune. That way you can get custom tunes to give you the most power out of it
Old 06-23-2010, 02:12 PM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

well the Eliminator comes with lifetime free tunes. So if I add something later it's not really a problem.

I'm just thinking it'd be something neat to have, I've never had a car with easily changeable performance settings. I guess my question is, on the Race setting is it even a noticeable difference?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Sideburns, I would say the difference is minimal. Cold air intakes on our cars make zero difference. Gears (4.10s), Midpipe, Tuner and short throw and youll have one quick car. (assuming you have some good tires on it)
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

I never said anything about a CAI.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:02 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

My apologies, saw that mentioned above.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Open up the exhaust to 2-1/2" from the manifolds back, X or H/catted or not, according to your personal preferences (and o/r pipe adds more noise and stink than anything else). Then get the tuner, and rear-end gears (the tuner will let you fix the speedometer).

After that get a TB and plenum (70mm is all that's needed, get a 75mm if you like, or plan on going F/I someday). TB/plenum will not provide a whopping gain at peak HP, but it will open up the mid-range (this is the "throttle response" improvement many report) and lessen the drop-off after peak HP quite a bit--allowing you to pull pretty strongly right up to the rev-limiter in 1st and 2nd.

All that done, there are a number of "tweaky" sort of bolt-ons you can add--UDPs, aluminum driveshaft, etc.

Then there is the ultimate "bolt-on"; a supercharger or turbo...
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Cliff i like the new avatar!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:58 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

OP, if your looking at BBK products, make sure you send Hoss302 a PM. He works there and has the discount code that you can get.

Quick Reply: SCT Eliminator as first mod?