4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Looking to spend about $2500

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM
matt14c

Default Looking to spend about $2500

Looking to spend about $2500 on the car in the next few weeks. Looking for thoughts/opinions. Have to get new tires was just going to put some good years on similar to factory discount tire quoted me at $600 for the set installed. I have the KN FIPKII already on and have a hypertech programmer.

Looking to get new exhaust and midpipe. Leaning towards the Borla S-Type catbacks. Not sure yet on which mid pipe yet.

Anything else relatively inexpensive that I should look into doing? Not real familiar with the car scene just getting into it. Was my fathers car who passed away and I want to open it up a little bit to keep my friend with his camaro to keep his mouth closed!

Its an 04 gt automatic with low miles only 26k.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

4.10 gears, o/r midpipe (h or x depending on preference) and id say much better tires.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:41 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

wow 26k miles?! thats impressive bro! well since its an auto, you'll prolly wanna do 4.10 gears. install is usually ~$200 and the gears themselves are between $150-200. as far as the catbacks, i think borla may be a bit pricey, although i havent checked recently, but if thats what you want, its ur money bro. other than that, i would say do full length subframe connectors, upper and lower control arms, get a bigger throttle body and plenum (most recommend 70mm). as far as mid-pipes go, i would recommend getting a "true" x-pipe, such as magnaflow, if you prefer the sound of an x. and i wouldn't get anything other than an offroad midpipe, unless you have strict emissions tests where ur at.

all that, assuming you install everything yourself other than the gears and subframe connectors, should come out between 1500-2000 bucks, depending on brands. then you have the 600 for tires, which should put you right around your 2500 mark, and should give you a much better chance against your loser friend

Last edited by trailor; 06-24-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:51 PM
matt14c

Sorry for my stupidity but are subframe connecters really worth it on pretty much factory car? Im not ever going to do anything crazy with this car. My dad has 5 stangs and he had major plans and parts for 9-10 second cars for the others and this one wasnt meant for that. Again not to be an ignorant *** if there is something with these cars that I need those let me know im just trying to understand. I was thinking a x pipe with no cats. I live in southeast michigan there is no such thing as emissions here!!! I just want this car to be a very clean and good sounding car. He has an indentical 02 that he bought with 116k miles that im gonna make a runner. But I need to walk before I run and play with these little things now before getting into the major building. Again sorry for the ignorance if thats what it is im just looking to understand.

What tires do you guys recommend? Im running the 5 spoke factory wheels and not looking to really change those unless I find a great deal on something.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Nitto 555s?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:17 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Ok, subframe connectors aren't just meant for drag cars. They are for all types of driving to stiffen the car up. When I did them I felt a noticeable difference in handling performance. Subframes are a must!!! Also an o/r x pipe with Borla stingers on there will be really raspy And not sound the best. Just forewarning you. Also 4.10's are an awesome mod to do as well. You will want better tires to go along with those gears though I must say. Goodluck.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

the subframes will keep the car from flexing when you launch the vehicle and when you make turns. the mustang is on a unibody design which, after years of punishment, will eventually flex to the point where the doors won't sit flush and other such things. doing the subframes will stiffen the car up and prevent that kinda stuff from happening. so i would say they're worth it since they're usually in the ballpark of $150 and would only cost maybe $20 for a shop to weld them on.

its your money so its really up to you if they're worth it. i was just trying to give you a list of things that would fulfill your $2500 requirement and would give you a good chance against a camaro. if you don't get the SFC's, then you would have an extra $150 or so to keep for yourself, as i don't see any other upgrades being worth it. some would say underdrive pullies, but after much research, i find them to be risky as far as engine life is concerned, and they're not useable if you ever plan on FI.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM
matt14c

Thanks guys again just trying to understand. Teej you recommend anything else either new mid or new tails? I know my dad always talked of either bassani or borla for that car so thats where I started but dont want it to sound like crap. Is there any brand better for the connecters than others?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I'm biased, but I'm running an o/r H pipe with Bassani catback and I have not gone more than one day without someone saying to me Damn that sounds good!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:35 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

get a bassani catted x and borla stingers and have the perfect exhaust note

Quick Reply: Looking to spend about $2500