4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Love driving my mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:23 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Default Love driving my mustang.

Dont worry i do have a point to this thread, but i just wanted to let everyone know. I love driving my mustang. Makes me so happy to turn the key everyday and here that loud deep throaty V8.

Corners are so much fun. Here in PA we have a bunch of curvy altitude changing roads. So much fun to whip the stang through at like 50 ahha. god i love lowering springs :P

so yeah to the whole point of this thread. just had a quick question. i know this is a popular problem, but i just wanted to see what you guys thought. so sometimes when i put my car into reverse, sometimes it makes a grinding sound. even if the clutch is pushed in all the way. My clutch release pretty far from the floor too, dosnt start grabbing till half way out. Not sure if thats cause of the Ford racing clutch or what. So im thinking a part of the problem might be the hurst sts. i love the thing btw. Maybe a few bolts need to be tightened up or something. Or maybe its just the trans.

also, the car surges in first gear. not sure what it is. The intake was replaced, and so was one bad COP. all the spark plugs have been replaced too. a few months ago it was throwing a code and my code reader said it was a lean fuel bank. any suggestions?

i still love my mustang to death and love driving it, puts a smile on my face every time
Old 06-30-2010, 04:46 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

The grinding is quite common on these cars with reverse.. Mine does it sometimes too...

As for the surging, if you replaced the faulty COP's and changed the spark plugs and gave it a tune up, idk what else it could be. If no codes are being thrown, maybe try cleaning out the MAF? IDK man. I hope you get it fixed.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 PM
natedog
3rd Gear Member

My car grinds in reverse too, my friends always look at me like an idiot when it happens. Don't know about a solution to fix it, but I just shift it into neutral and then go back into reverse no prob. Its weird tho
Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 PM
DS002
3rd Gear Member

I wish I still loved driving mine, I almost hate driving mine now. I try reminding myself of the good times but Im just so used to the car its become just plain boring.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ sounds like someone needs to find some twisties You discover the sweet corner and you never look at straight-aways the same again

I LOVE driving my car more than I did the day I purchased it over 4 years ago!

Jazzer
Old 06-30-2010, 09:33 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yo Bud! Grinding is normal...no biggie there. Then with the surging could just be slack in the drivetrain that accumulates over the life of the driveline. My 98 did that and whenever it did it it sounded like the gears had "slack" in them and it could have been. When I got my 02 it did the same thing kinda and then when i had the motor and tranny replaced with units with 28k miles on them...went away. Try doing rear gears and cleaning the maf and do the fuel filter while youre at it. Also if its throwing a lean code, could need a new o2 sensor and might as well get a wideband while you need to replace. All just food for thought my friend. Glad youre back to driving it after a while.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

ahh the twisties of PA always a treat in any car
Old 06-30-2010, 09:44 PM
Mr Graystang
4th Gear Member

I know the feeling OP , I love to just drive and nail corners fast as hell then just go WOT in the straight. But I had the grinding noise when I had my T-45's , In my T-3650 I do not. It just sounds like a mild whining.

' Jazzer ' your mustang looks really bad **** man.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

The only thing I hate are the damn GT seats.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:02 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Grazzi

May you get lots of play, Mr Gray

Quick Reply: Love driving my mustang.