4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

guys who autocross

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
96meangreengt
2nd Gear Member

Default guys who autocross

Been thinking of doing some autocross since there are so many events around my area, you guys that already are doing it, what gears are u running I know 4.10s are fun and great in a straight line but would 3.73 be better for that type of driving, i need to order the gears tonight so let me know what you think. Anyone else in and around the north mississippi area?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Take your car EXACTLY as it is now

AX is a driver-mod endeavor and hence you should ONLY be competing against yourself and looking to improve your driving skills. Head over to the MF's homepage and head down to the Other professional racing section and read up on a whole bunch of pages going into the past ones. You will find lots of good advice on how to approach AX and the things to consider depending on the class you may be entered into via joining a club.

Jazzer
Old 07-01-2010, 12:54 AM
budders
4th Gear Member

i knew just by the title that jazzer would be the first to answer hes so nice. he should be the mod of the autocross section. if we dont have one, then we should make one :P for people like meangreengt
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
i knew just by the title that jazzer would be the first to answer hes so nice. he should be the mod of the autocross section. if we dont have one, then we should make one :P for people like meangreengt
x2 Agreed!!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I'm sure it would be fun to moderate a section that people only post every 3 weeks in.
Like Jazzer said while learning AutoX you want to stay as stock as possible. when I started my car was way past stock and I'm in a class I have no chance in right now because I'm trying to learn in an advanced group. Yes your supposed to do it to have fun but it still fun to be competitive
Old 07-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^ Werd!

I focus 100% on my own runs, but would be lying if I was to say I don't pepe the scoreboard I have been doing it long enough that I just keep an eye on those that are always faster than I and look to creep up on them. Since my first few times out until now, I have moved from 35~42 out of 70 cars, to 11~15 within the same basic group.

I think that EVERYONE should do AX at least one time. This not only helps one to understand how his/her car responds under aggressive situations, but helps to understand how YOU as a driver handle such situations. Sooner or later, we will ALL find ourselves without traction, or going to fast for a particular corner unexpectedly. To have placed your car in such a position prior via AX, you will be less likely to panic and maybe avoid a crash.

Jazzer
Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
yamanx
1st Gear Member

I can't wait to get my car semi ready for some AX!!! Straight lines are fun and all but I like the turn after much more haha.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

My car will be ready in 2 weeks for auto x...finally. Lol
Old 07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
^ Werd!

I focus 100% on my own runs, but would be lying if I was to say I don't pepe the scoreboard I have been doing it long enough that I just keep an eye on those that are always faster than I and look to creep up on them. Since my first few times out until now, I have moved from 35~42 out of 70 cars, to 11~15 within the same basic group.

I think that EVERYONE should do AX at least one time. This not only helps one to understand how his/her car responds under aggressive situations, but helps to understand how YOU as a driver handle such situations. Sooner or later, we will ALL find ourselves without traction, or going to fast for a particular corner unexpectedly. To have placed your car in such a position prior via AX, you will be less likely to panic and maybe avoid a crash.

Jazzer
i think im gonna take jazzers advice and learn to controll my car 100% before i add anything to it performance wise.

I kind of think of it as another small small hobby/ interest i have. photography. ive always appreciated nice pictures and wished i could take pictures like i see. They all use high quality cameras ( high performance cars). but if you dont know how to use your camera (car) then your pictures turn out like ****t (lap times)..

so currently i have just a regular run of the mill, kodak 10mp digital camera. sure i would love to blow 600 bucks on a DSLR, but i've seen what these small cameras are capable of, taking beautiful pictures wise. theres more to it (skill) than the hardware you use. it could be the best hardware you can buy for your money but if you cant use it, then you cant do jack shi*
Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Like Jazzer has said... don't do any other modifications to the car and drive it like it is now. Its much better to start out with it stock than to have a bunch of mods on it. SCCA is very mod sensitive and you have to be careful that certain mods will automatically put you in a class where you are running with very prepped cars.

Someone may have to check me on this, but I believe gears will put you into a Prepared or Street Modified class and neither class I would want to start off in. F stock would probably be where most of the cars on this board would start off in and go from there depending on mods completed. When I first got into autox, I already had a pulley, intake, tune exhaust and some suspension stuff on the car and was thrown into Street Mod where I had no chance at first.

The cheapest and fastest way to get faster at an autox is seat time. Find one of the fast guys, ride with them and have them ride with you and see what they are doing and what you are doing and I guarantee you will pick up some time. Once you get a feel for what class you want to prep your car for and your driving style, then look into mods to make you more competitive your respective class. Even in stock classes, race tires are allowed so if you want to get serious and play with the top dogs, you will just about need a good set of Hoosier A6's or Kuhmo V710's.

I'm no expert by any means, but I've ran locally against the guy who won the ASP national championship last year and is extremely fast. Most of what I know comes from those I've watched and learned from myself.