4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

What do you guys think of this motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Yes it will...
Old 07-06-2010, 07:57 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

yeah i think im just gonna go with a mmr block still unless something good pops up. If i was getting a s/c right away like with the motor than it would be perfect but for now its gonna suck.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by teej281
That car with the low compression would maybe make 270-280rwhp but not 300. High compression with heads/cams/intake are making 330rwhp and I think that the low compression would make it a dog unless you put a twin screw blower on it right outta the gate. With a centri blower it will be a dog til you hit full boost. You want a 9.2:1 compression with a centri, not 8.5:1.
Isn't the average horsepower increase per 1 point of compression only 2%? So if this motor is pushing 300HP with 8.5:1 instead of 9.2:1 that only a decrease of roughly 5hp. When you factor in the extra boost you will be able run (1.5psi- 3psi more) roughly 14hp per pound of boost, I think it's a good trade off.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:08 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 98redstang
idk if im gonna get it thought. With that low of compression i think its gonna suck til i get a blower.

why? I have a slight idea as to what compression is exactly, and how blowers are most beneficial when it's low, but if you don't mind explaining this a bit tell me once in for all please...

What's bad about driving a low compression engine without a supercharger & why it's good OR bad driving a high compression car with or without a s/c? I'm having a hard time puttin the puzzles together.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nascrchi
why? I have a slight idea as to what compression is exactly, and how blowers are most beneficial when it's low, but if you don't mind explaining this a bit tell me once in for all please...

What's bad about driving a low compression engine without a supercharger & why it's good OR bad driving a high compression car with or without a s/c? I'm having a hard time puttin the puzzles together.
+1 Nas, I'm with you on this one! Could someone please shed some good light on this? I understand the need for lower compression on a motor built for F/I and the need for higher compression for N/A... but if someone were to ask me, I wouldn't be able to put it into words.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 AM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

That motor will suck to drive DD...it'll just bog. Thats why I didn't get it. I won't be able to put a blower on my car for a few years so i want something to drive until i do. Im lookin at a 9.7:1 motor right now. Just figuring out shipping
Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
+1 Nas, I'm with you on this one! Could someone please shed some good light on this? I understand the need for lower compression on a motor built for F/I and the need for higher compression for N/A... but if someone were to ask me, I wouldn't be able to put it into words.
Explains what compression ratio is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_ratio

Chart showing how forced induction increases your compression ratio. It's not the compression ratio that will hurt you it's the fuel you run, higher compression= need for higher octane fuel to avoid detonation.

http://www.pawinc.com/charts/Superch...mpression.html

Last edited by smythge; 07-07-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:33 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

RE: MustangManCP's comment - Why will it bog, even its still pushing 280+/- whatever kind of HP its making in N/A form? I'm confused, sorry if I'm being a pain in the @$$..

Edit - Thanks Smythge!!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:34 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I run 8.9:1 on my built short block and I have PLENTY of bottom end!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Well i changed my mind again. Im getting a blower somewhere by the winter/spring so i think im gonna get it. Its really too good of a deal to give up. Im gonna check everything out and if everything is good im gonna get it. Ill keep you guys posted on what i do. My cars been sitting for 2 months and its driving me nuts hahaha. I think this motor might be it though. Anyone have any other input?

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of this motor?