4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Feelings on buying a modded car

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM
johnnycool

Default Feelings on buying a modded car

I have been looking for the past 6 months for a GT or a older Cobra. I started out real picky but have opened my mind a bit. I found a 00 GT with less then 100,000 miles, It has a CAI, exhast with xpipe and no cats, and 4.10 gears ( none of this botters me) also it has a lower intake off a 04 and a new upper intake, and a aftermarket fuel rail, It has a tuner and a dyno tune. the Tremec 5 speed has been rebulit and beefed up accourding to the owner, It also has a driveshaft loop and boxed control arms. He says it has never been raced, and was a weekend cruiser, but who really knows. the paint is fairly new. This car is not close by so I havent' seen it person yet just pics. just woundering if it is worth the trip.

Also in the new edges, are they any years better or worst the the others. I know you should always avoid the first production year, and try to get the newest one you can, Is it worth the 2-5 thousand more for a 04 then a 99 if comparing apples to apples, and the basic difference is the year model?
Old 07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Ok.... so judging by your description of the car, i would put money on the car being raced before lol(all of the mods you listed are not for cruising lol)

anyway, im not going to say buy it or not to buy it. Frankly thats a decision you will have to make. However, i personally have no problem buying a modded car. This is, however, dependend on the owner. If he is a 18-23 yr old kid(no offense youngins lol) then i would probably pass on the car unless it was a really good price. If the guy looks to be a standup guy, then id go for it. More than likely he took care of the car.

As far as one model yr being better then the other..... personally id say the early yrs. (99-mid 01).
These came with a 8 bolt flywheel vs a 6 bolt for the later yrs as well as the windsor motor. Not that the later makes a huge difference, just that supposedly the stock internals(rods to be specific) can withstand a little more hp than the romeo engine(mid 01-04). Something like 475hp max for 99-mid 01 and 450hp for mid 01-04.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

The only think that sticks out to me is the Upper/Lower intake and the rebuilt tranny. But then again the plastic intake have been known to crack and needing replaced, so maybe he just replaced it with the newest year stok model. The tranny...I don't know, ask for a recipt of the work done to it and ask why he had it rebuild and how long ago.

The 03/04's have a little more power from what I understand as well as the "spark plug blowout" problem resolved. I'm not positive on what year they revised the head to avoid the blowing out of the park plugs. But the rest of the mods are nothing major, it's just the things you can't see that is iffy (trans). Make sure the rear end does not whine with the aftermarket gears in to make sure they were installed right.

I don't see this car as a "moded" car. It's still basically stock. I'm always a fan of getting a unmolested car and doing the work yourself. Would hate to buy someone else's problems. If you can afford it, shop around for a clean, stock 03/04. Deals are out there, just need to keep your eyes open and don't just jump on something. Stangs are everywhere and therefore always deals coming up.

Goodluck!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:16 AM
johnnycool

The guy came off as a wantabe gear head, everything was "my buddy said get this do that". The intake came off his buddies car, after he up graded, eveything has been done to it within the last to years. He said the tranny was working fine, but he buddy said " beefing it up was the most importain thing you could do"
Old 07-13-2010, 11:32 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Ask him if his buddy told him to jump off a brigde would he?

Those can just be excuses for "I beat the **** out of the car, cracked the intake, ground up the gears so it needed 'beefing up'"

Since these care are so plentiful, don't waste your time with cars that have sketchy stories behind them. Chances are there is one down the street with less baggage tied to it for the same or less money and is just as clean.

How much is he asking for this '00 less than 100k mi "moded" car??
Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
johnnycool

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Ask him if his buddy told him to jump off a brigde would he?

Those can just be excuses for "I beat the **** out of the car, cracked the intake, ground up the gears so it needed 'beefing up'"

Since these care are so plentiful, don't waste your time with cars that have sketchy stories behind them. Chances are there is one down the street with less baggage tied to it for the same or less money and is just as clean.

How much is he asking for this '00 less than 100k mi "moded" car??
Started at $7000, got it to $5500 on the phone
Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Can't make much of a decision without seeing the car in person. But like it has been said, look into what kind of guy he is...age...personality...it all plays into buying a car. Open your pocket to $10k and go from there. See what you find.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:25 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Don't buy someone elses headache. This meatball sounds like he doesn't know a damn thing about the car. I'd move on...

If I were buying a mustang again, the only way I would consider a modified one would be one that the owner could tell me every minute detail about the mods, why and the benefits of doing it.

Last edited by PurpleIcedGT; 07-13-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

^^ agreed
Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

that car has absolutely been raced, no doubt in my mind...nobody puts a driveshaft loop on the car if its not goin to the track, it doesnt benefit u at all otherwise...i guarantee if u crawl under the rear of that car there is rubber caked all over from burnouts... im sure burnouts from "cruising or showing off", not at all from racing at the track lol... how close does he live to a track

Quick Reply: Feelings on buying a modded car