4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Fed up with this damn car.. wtf is that noise?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Default Fed up with this damn car.. wtf is that noise?!

99% of the time when i drive my car, i have a ticking noise that eminates so loudly.... It sounds exactly like a ticking noise and nothing else, which leads me to think its an exhaust leak... However, i myself and 98redstang both were under my car while giving it some gas, and the noise didn't sound like it was coming from the exhaust. But we couldn't tell where the f*ck it was coming from... My car has made this ticking noise since i first bought it, and it's making me really not enjoy the car...

When i don't have the ticking noise, my car pulls so much harder than when i do have the ticking noise... I might not have the ticking noise for 5 days out of the whole year.. It just decides that for that specific drive, it's not going to tick. The only logical explanation is an exhaust leak since metals contract and expand right?! What about a piece of the cat bouncing around, making it hard to pinpoint where the noise is coming from?

The noise is mainly heard at all low RPM's. If i am at 3k and i gun it, all i can hear is the exhaust anyway, so idk if the noise is really there.. But at normal cruising rates, i hear it nonstop and it bugs the sh*t outta me.

My friend drove my car the other day with me outside and from 50ft away i heard the damn ticking noise when he got on it...

Should i try taking off the midpipe and getting a new passenger side gasket and going at it? It just doesnt make sense why i cant pinpoint this noise, bc it doesnt sound like its within the exhaust, but all the information leads me to believe its an exhaust leak...

Should i get the damn stethescope out? hahah
Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 PM
bojanglesowner07252
2nd Gear Member

I had a bad tick when i had my 99v6 and it turned out being a cracked exhaust manifold
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

that's more common on the v6 models. But I won't rule that out... My buddy had his v6 manifold crack and that tick was louder than a go kart.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Exhaust leaks, because of the supersonic components and harmonics, can mimic all sorts of nasty mechanical problems. I think your suggested plan makes sense, pull the mid-pipe and examine the connections to see if they have been blowing by...
Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

Infamous 2v head tick? lol I have that same ticking noise and I know that mine is either an exhaust leak or the head tick. It kinda bothers me but i'm so used to it by now. Maybe its time you opt for an aftermarket midpipe...if youre going to go through the trouble of removing the stock midpipe to change a gasket might as well
Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Explosive

It's probably an exhaust leak. Often times they will be tricky to find. I'm guessing the car was in park or neutral when you gave it gas trying to listen ? Try putting the engine under load and then listen, if it's a 5 speed you could just pull the e-brake put the car in first and let off the clutch just enough to put to load on the engine then listen. You may find the leak easier to pinpoint that way.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I had an exhaust leak just recently that did NOT sound like a normal exhaust leak. It ended up being that one of my Stage 8 locking bolts backed out a little and the Percy exhaust gaskets made it sound very unlike an exhaust leak.

From what you described above saying when it doesn't tick it pulls normal but with the tick is present is doesn't pull hard/normal. IMO that doesn't sound like an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks shouldn't affect the performance of your car.

Also, you said you couldn't hear the noise when you gun it but you said you heard it from 50ft away when you friend got on it. Does that mean the noise occurs at all rpms?
Old 07-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I agree, sounds like a leak. I've had them before too. Definitely one of the more aggravating things to track down and stop. I would start at the mani and work my way back. Take it apart if you have too, or run it by an exhaust shop.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:57 AM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Teej i have a hi-flow catted X... i just dont know the brand since it was on the car when i had it and it has no markings...

I just dont understand why it is so damn hard to pinpoint this thing. It's seriously the most aggrivating thing ever. If i can get it fixed, i will love this car... It's the last thing holding me back from driving this thing 24/7 since i got the steering creaking fixed. I dont want to take it to an exhaust shop and get raped on the price =/

I guess i will really have to get in there, disconnect the midpipe, maybe borrow a stethoscope, the whole 9 yards... Anything to get this thing fixed...

Idk if it's a head tick though bc i thought that happens without giving the car any gas? As in you just fire her up and you hear a faint ticking noise. I do not have that... Only when the engine is under load does it tick... If i throw it in 5th gear at 40mph and gun it, the ticking goes from a tick tick tick tick TICK TICKTICKTICKTICKTICK... it gets faster as the rpm's increase. But i mainly hear it from 1200rpm - 3000 and always when the car is under load... Just imagine just normal routine driving and shifting at normal RPM's and hearing a ticking noise the whole damn time..

When my buddy drove it and he got on it, he just blipped the throttle. He wasn't anywhere over 3000rpm's, it was more like a 2nd gear pull from 1800-2500. I heard the ticking. And when i go next to a wall, the ticking is noticeably louder since it's bouncing off the walls...

And to wannabegearhead -- I should clear up my past statement...the car pulls strong at WOT no matter what.. But when the ticking noise isnt there, the routine daily driving is much more enjoyable and it gets up and goes much more easily.. Idk if it's all in my head, but i really feel like i am just losing backpressure or something since i am at lower RPM's with daily driving... idk

I'll give somebody $100 if they fix it

Last edited by hpwrestler220; 07-24-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

Ticking while under a load is almost definitely a leak. Thats pretty much a given.

Quick Reply: Fed up with this damn car.. wtf is that noise?!