4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

SCT Eliminator vs SCT SF3/X3

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

Default SCT Eliminator vs SCT SF3/X3

I'm torn between which one to buy. The Eliminator costs less and I like that it's a permanent install and that you can change tunes on the fly, however I don't like that you have to remove it and ship it back every time you want the custom tunes updated.

I like that the SF3 can also do data-logging, but I'm not sure if that feature is really that important to me. I don't race, I'm only interested in performance street driving.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

allright, I went with the Eliminator just because I like the idea of it being integrated into the car. I think it's cool that my Mustang will now have a "Race" setting like modern Ferraris and Lambos do.

I will most likely only do one more major set up upgrades and I will wait and buy them all at once, that way I only ever have to send my Eliminator back to SCT one time for new tunes.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Andy_H
1st Gear Member

Interesting, I wish someone would have given you some feedback. But I think that was a good idea. I might do the same thing soon.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

Allright, got the Eliminator in yesterday afternoon.

Here are the tunes I have on it:

87 Octane Street
87 Octane Performanc
93 Octane Race

Car runs well in both street and performance. I've been using performance so far this morning and I like it. Don't think I gained more than a few horsepower, but the response is much better. The engine feels more aggressive and seems to not have so bad of a "power flat spot" as it used to . It seems to want to pull better through the whole rev range. Throttle pedal response is also better.

My only concern is that sometimes when I get on it I hear what sounds like pinging just for 1/2 second or so then it stops. It could be because it's so hot down here right now I guess.

Oh, and I also noticed that I seem to be cruising around at lower rpms, I seem to remember 40mph being about 2krpms in 4th, now it's around 1750rpms.

I will try the 93 Octane Race setting later today or tomorrow and report back, that should be a very noticeable difference.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

I just got the Eliminator also, installed it 2 days ago. All of my tunes are for 93 octane, and its awesome. Installed the switch where the 12V plug was, and I can switch easily. Be ready for Race without traction control, its a riot.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:58 PM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

you got other mods or just the eliminator?
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

Eh not really, just K&N drop in (if you could call that a mod), O/R H, and 3.73s (the main reason I wanted it was to fix my speedo).
Old 08-12-2010, 07:41 AM
maxsideburn
1st Gear Member

ok I'm a little concerned.

still on the 87 octane performance tune I noticed yesterday afternoon that when I get on it quick, like a quick stab at the throttle a lot of times I get a quick "clatter" from the valves. makes me worry that my engine is pinging, but it doesn't sound exactly like the "marble in a spray can" like you generally think of pinging, just sound like quick 1/2-1 seconds of valves clashing or something.

now I'm kind of afraid to try the 93 octane race tune.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 AM
HasABetterSN
3rd Gear Member

I haven't heard any clatter at all with mine - I would try to run all of the 87 octane out, then put some 93 in and try the race tune and see if its still pinging.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:56 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

sounds like the timing is advanced too much if you getting a pinging sound

Quick Reply: SCT Eliminator vs SCT SF3/X3