4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Yeah, another mod list thread (Engine Mods, Paint, etc). . .

Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 PM
cheapLEY

Default Yeah, another mod list thread (Engine Mods, Paint, etc). . .

I know, these threads probably get old. I've ran a search, and probably really have learned mostly what I need, but there's so much to sift through, and fresh opinions are always nice, so here it is:

I've had my 2002 GT for almost 4 years, now.

So far, I've done nothing to it, save for a set of Flowmaster 40s. I haven't really had the money to do much to it, but it's finally paid off, and I'm leaving for the Air Force in a few weeks. So next year, I'll have a bit of money to dump into it.

I'll be doing a complete exhaust overhaul: headers, offroad pipes or high-flow cats (not sure, yet), and mufflers. I also will be fixing the paint, which will probably amount to almost a complete respray (the hood, both doors, the trunk, and both bumpers need work). When I do that, I'll probably have the spoiler removed and trunk filled. And instead of fixing the rear bumper, I'm looking at getting a Cobra rear bumper, and having the "COBRA" letters filled so that it's just a flat bumper. Does anyone have any general estimates of what paint might cost?

I will also be getting a new set of wheels, although I haven't quite decided what to get, yet.

But I'm also looking to get some more power out of it. It will still be my daily driver, so I'm not trying to turn it into a complete beast. I would like to see 350 rwhp.

I'm not opposed to slapping a turbo or supercharger on it, but what are my other options?

What's the cost comparison to doing that versus the extensive list of mods I'd have to use otherwise?
Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

s/c all the way if you dont wanna blow 6k on a complete engine. paint and stuff you might as well spray the whole entire car at that point. price for that is gonna be between 3-6k depending on the shop and how quality the paint is gonna be...you really get what you pay for with paint jobs, trust me...been there done that. So im gonna say a good job would be about 5k. And if youre gonna do the rear bumper, get the front bumper and side skirts at that time, and just keep the GT badges so you dont get flamed.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
cheapLEY

Originally Posted by teej281
s/c all the way if you dont wanna blow 6k on a complete engine. paint and stuff you might as well spray the whole entire car at that point. price for that is gonna be between 3-6k depending on the shop and how quality the paint is gonna be...you really get what you pay for with paint jobs, trust me...been there done that. So im gonna say a good job would be about 5k. And if youre gonna do the rear bumper, get the front bumper and side skirts at that time, and just keep the GT badges so you dont get flamed.
I was considering, and still might, but, to be honest, I'm not really a huge fan of the Cobra front bumper. I think I prefer the Mach 1 look on the front. Not sure how that would look with the Cobra rear, though.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:31 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

It will look unbalanced to be honest with you...it really wont look good unless you got the rest of the package.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:02 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

In other words, it will look like complete ****.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
teej281
4.6L Section Moderator

in that many words...YES!!! I hate how it looks. There is a yellow mustang around my area that has just the rear bumper and nothing else cobra and it looks terrible. So thats why i suggested the whole thing and not just the back bumper.