4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

lost 4mph in the 1/4...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Default lost 4mph in the 1/4...

only mod difference was FLSFC's, which cant possibly slow me down by 4mph, i was told to clean my MAF sensor and KN air filter and i should be good. is it possible that a dirty MAF and air filter could slow you down by 4mph at the 1/4? i also changed my fuel filter and changed the oil in case that could make a difference..anything else i should look into? maybe plugs? could this difference be in the tune as well?, should i get retuned?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:09 PM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

Damn....Was there any difference in temperature between the two days that you are comparing? I would think you should definitely clean your MAF, replace your filter, check out the plugs and try it again.

Best of luck figuring it out buddy.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:17 PM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

well i cleaned my MAF and air filter just today, changed the oil/oil filter and fuel filter as well...ill have to check the plugs...no difference in temperature really but even on the hottest most humid day i went to the track i was still almost able to hit 100mph, so im really lost here because the weather wasnt that back on my 96mph day...my tuner is sold on it being a dirty MAFS but i dont see how spraying it with cleaner could help all that much, lol, maybe its just doing things i cant really see haha...any other ideas?

another thing, at 96mph i ran a 13.8, at 100mph i ran just a 13.7..so if i hit my 100mph when i did the 13.8 is it safe to say i wouldve beaten my previous best of 13.7?

could a 4mph difference be made in a tune? should i have it retuned?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:02 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

there could be a lot of things that could cause a decrease in trap speed. Tune, dirty maf, plugs, are all good places to start. Think really hard about whether anything else has changed on your car at all since the last time you ran, however insignificant you may think the change is. You should also check the DA calculator at dragtimes.com and see what the recorded weather actually was for the two different days you ran at the track.

I had a mysterious loss of power the beginning of the season and it turned out to be clogged catalytic converters. I was missing about 50rwhp.

clogged cats

after bassani catted x
Old 08-16-2010, 11:14 PM
mustangmancp
5th Gear Member

^^^damn thats scary hhaha.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Hell ya that is! Especially because cats aren't cheap.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:22 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangmancp
^^^damn thats scary hhaha.
Originally Posted by crash
Hell ya that is! Especially because cats aren't cheap.
The scary part is there are no symptoms except loss of power and usually when you go to the track and run slow, you think "man I need to learn how to drive." I thought I was the worst driver in the world for a while, turns out I'm not all that bad after all.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:24 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

How did you find out it was a cat?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:41 PM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crash
How did you find out it was a cat?
I had it on the dyno and the A/F and timing was dead on and I was making 218rwhp with basically full bolt-ons and a set of blower cams. There were only a couple things it could be. My cam timing might have skipped a tooth or I could have had low *** compression on my brand new built motor. Didn't think either of those were likely so i started to think of all the possibilities. Then the owner of the shop said, "it isn't very loud for a mustang with borla exhaust," and then it clicked in my head. There had to be something clogging the exhaust flow and the only thing really likely culprit could be the stock mid-pipe would be a set of bad cats. Pulled the MILs and sure enough there was a ton of backpressure coming from the right side of the pipe.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

thanks!...i suppose if i pop my mid and look through the cats id be able to tell? not sure when id be able to get on a dyno to check on this problem...i do have an aftermarket bassani x with highflow cats...and it doesnt seem to be any quieter but this is something i could certainly look into, thanks...so i guess its not crazy to think the MAF could be dirty...any other ideas?

Quick Reply: lost 4mph in the 1/4...